Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Muscles and Treats

With the exception of the two weeks I was out of town, every week this summer I completed six workout classes. During the school year, I vacillate between one and four classes a week, so this was a big accomplishment. I'm stronger, leaner, and excited to keep the momentum going into the fall.

Each week, the schedule included two yoga classes:
 Three HIIT classes (two circuit and one kettlebell)

 And one spin class.
The school year consisted of entirely spin or spin/HIIT combo classes. The addition of circuits has been key in my upper body strength. Tricep dips were always hard, and now they are getting easier.  I'm still doing pushup from the knee, but I can chaturanga (or knees-chest-chin) much better, which is exciting!

My plans for the fall include four to five classes a week: two circuit, one spin, one spin/HIIT combo and if possible - one yoga class. I might rotate in a spin/yoga combo for a circuit class on occasion.

And now for the treats over the last few days:
 Yes, I watched the Bachelorette finale with half of a small watermelon and a spoon. I did share with Remy. He, too, was shocked at Rachel's choice (I didn't like Peter, but he was clearly her favorite.  I don't think Bryan will last).
 No arguments from me, Beet Box! Chocolate glazed Pumpkin Donut, accompanied by an unseen Iced Bhakti Chai.
I went in for an Apple Cinnamon scone, but they were selling a savory chive scone instead that I didn't trust. Ha ha! The donut was delicious, though, so it all ended well.

Are you someone who can work out alone, or do you prefer a class? I work out harder when I'm being told what to do, and held accountable. 

See you this weekend!

10 comments:

  1. I agree with you on being accountable. I'm reading vegan blogs in my workout clothes right now because I'm procrastinating going to the gym :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly why I have to pay for classes - if left up to me, I don't have the determination to go! It also helps that the classes include a $10 cancellation fee if you no show or cancel less than 12 hours before the class (and are not sick/have an emergency). I don't want to pay twice for a class, and receive a good workout!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for you! Progress is being made and it is always so exciting to see the changes and when things get a little easier. It is definitely a goal of mine to work on my fitness and get back to where I was and this post is definitely inspiring me. I'm definitely a work out alone kind of gal. The only class I ever did was yoga and I was the only one there a lot of the time… which was pretty awesome because one on one yoga classes are amazing.

    Watermelon and a donut are definitely the perfect sweet treats in my book :) I loved this post and I'm so excited for you and your achievements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting to see yourself get stronger! It took me a while to get used to going to classes, but now I love it! I wish I could workout on my own, and I admire your ability to do it!

      Thank you, Sarah! <3

      Delete
  3. That's so encouraging to see results and feel stronger! I love spin classes and get to 2-3 a week in the early morning, , other classes don't work with my crazy work schedule. Weekends i love to take a long bike ride but in bad weather i just do the gym on my own- for me working out is just something i have always done and is more a necessity for mental health and stress management!
    Great find with the doughnut! It's weird but the mini watermelons i had this summer aren't nearly as good as the big ones, so i just get big ones and when it's not so great as is anymore i make watermelon cucumber lemon juice
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been a spin class fan for about four years, but I've seen such a growth in strength from the HIIT or circuit classes! However, being on the bike only once a week during the summer was not great for my "saddle" - you know what I mean! Ha ha! Going back to two spin classes a week should help with that. ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm mightily impressed at the amount of workout of you do. I prefer to do exercise on my own - it's just not a pretty sight! It's something I've only started doing relatively recently, so who knows, maybe I'll graduate to proper gym classes one day. Nice donut too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a mid-morning class at 8:30am or 9am. Get up, watch a little news, drink a cup of coffee, snuggle with Remy on the couch - then go to class, and start the rest of my day. It's so easy during the summer. I have to pick classes that are within an hour of leaving work during the school year, otherwise I'll get tired and not go. The gym I belong to has a small area for people who want to work out alone, but they have so many classes and really nice (read: non-judgmental!) instructors which make all the difference. Finding the right fit is key!

      Delete
  5. There is a free outdoor Zumba class I pass every Saturday morning, Always think of you. I admire your dedication, consistancy is key.

    That was a terrible Bachelorette finale. Rachel was a fantastic Bachelorette, but she doesnt want Bryan. I hope they dont make Peter the next Bachelor, he seemed to be manipulating the situation to go that way. Now watching BIP - no Chad or Lacey, so not as interesting.

    Glad you are finessing these summer breaks to get the most out of them, dont forget the trip to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I'm happy to be in your thoughts!

      I watched BIP on Monday, but missed last night. I'm thinking it'll be a boring season, with the exception of Dean's storyline.

      Yes! Travel is a huge highlight of summer break!!

      Delete