Sunday, June 25, 2017

Day Trip - Kansas Edition

I scheduled my last post, as I was already in Kansas by Wednesday evening.  Thursday we spent with Grandma, running errands in the nearest city and trying to escape the 101 degree plus humidity heat.  Remy was planted in the air conditioned hotel, while I was riddled with "mom guilt" for leaving him in a new place, all alone (albeit way safer than outside).  Friday, we hit our destination: Lindsborg, KS.  It is about three and a half hours away from Grandma's small town, and it is called the Swedish capitol of Kansas.
I had one mission: purchase a Dala Horse (traditional Swedish folkart, hand painted wooden horses according to the region of one's origin).  My grandfather, who passed in 2014, had quite a few in the house but my grandmother in her mass purge (read: grief) gave them all away.  And I wanted one for my bookshelf. 
 

The store where all of the magic happened was called Hemslojd, and had a large statue of St. Lucia (Swedish Christmas tradition) out front.  P.S. Friday was in the 70s, with a cool breeze and occasional rain. Everyone was grateful, and Remy was able to join us and wait outside with my Dad while I shopped.
 
 They also had an extensive Christmas section with adorable figurines.

My purchases: (brochure was complimentary), dala horse, magnet, mug. In Swedish: "help yourself" or "you are welcome to it" - as in coffee, the national beverage.
They have Dala Horses all over town (I only photographed my favorite).


 Art on buildings:
 London has red phone booths - Sweden has Tala Dalas...blue and yellow phone booths.

They have a Swedish festival in the fall. Perhaps one day I'll make it back to Lindsborg, and also back to Sweden (because my only other trip was with the aforementioned grandparents when I was five).  We returned on Saturday, and I'm already feeling the vacation blues.  Good thing there is another trip on the horizon... stay tuned! ;)   But first, I'll see you on Wednesday with the usual mid week wrap up.

8 comments:

  1. My favorite is the third horse statue with the flowers.
    The heat has been brutal here in SLC too. UUGH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Utah, Colorado, and Kansas are relatively similar in weather, just with the local caveats of elevation or humidity. I hope it has cooled down a little bit for you!

      I do love the horse with flowers!

      Delete
  2. I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this post! I'm so glad that you got to visit Grandma and that you were able to explore your heritage a little bit. I love the dala horse! The painted ones in town are so pretty. I really hope that you get to visit Sweden again. I know you will have the best time. As you know, I have a total fascination with Scandinavia and would love to visit some day so I really love hearing about your culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I need to go! My biggest obstacle after income, is finding someone to go with me. I have a lot of time off, being a teacher, and so if I go - I want to stay awhile. We'll see what I can put together. Family members are making tentative plans to go to western Germany next summer, to celebrate the end of WWI where Great Grandpa fought (first generation born in America, he was also 100% Swedish).

      Delete
  3. What an awesome and educational post! I never heard of a Dala Horse. How could Grandma have given them away??? Who knew there was a Swedish town in Kansas? I always think of Minnesota as where Swedes migrated. I so hope you get back to Sweden sooner rather than later. I know you like to plan ahead big time, but maybe sign up for air fare alerts to Stockholm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She took off her wedding ring and handed it to my cousin. I magically inherited her crystal candy dish and relish tray. My brother has a mid-century side table. She donated all of her pots and pans, and no longer cooks. It has been quite the ordeal for Grandma!

      Sweden is definitely on the list, and I would want to go with family. I will likely visit my friend in France by myself, but Sweden should be shared!

      Delete
    2. Guess there is no getting Grandma on Match.com? You will have to showcase the candy dsih and relish tray sometime.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting post - I didn't know about the dala horses at all. Those phone boxes are beyond cute!

    ReplyDelete