Sunday, March 5, 2017

Back to Life

Or at least an attempt at a normal posting schedule of Wednesdays and Sundays. Ha!  It has been two weeks since I last posted, although it wasn't a full disappearance, as I was still reading and commenting. Life has been a lot lately!  Images from this time, and a few stories to go with them:
 Lunches one week included: Roasted Sweet Potato Quinoa salad (based on this recipe, but with a few swaps), cocoa almonds and blueberries.

Less exciting lunch the following: Mushroom & Herb Couscous with steamed broccoli:
A colleague friend has just begun chemo and radiation for breast cancer. Wednesday it was my turn to take her five person household dinner. She is a vegetarian, but her Mother, husband, and two elementary aged boys are not. She assured me I could trade in tofu/plant protein as she does it all of the time.  I brought Whole Food's Vegetable Barley Soup (her favorite), Saltines & Jell-o (mostly for her upset stomach, or the boys as desired), and the prize winner: mini tofu pigs in a blanket.
 I am on the calendar again in a week and a half, so I need to be equally impressive.  She is stage one, it's not in her bones, and will be done with treatment (and praying to be cancer-free) in five months.

Breakfast images:
Newly purchased:
This recipe sounds awesome:
 That little guy in the background recently turned 9 years old.  It has been a rough six weeks for him, as we ended up at the vet in late January with a diagnosis of spinal disk disease. We've caught it early, but he had to endure one month of forced rest (crating during the day, no walks, potty time on a leash, no jumping), as well as doggy ibuprofen and muscle relaxers every twelve hours.  It took me a few days to build up the courage to crate him, as it broke my heart to take away his freedom.  I rebelled against the "no walks" mandate and purchased a front facing dog carrier backpack, and walked our favorite park - with him tucked inside, head poking out. (P.S. It is quite the workout!)

On Tuesday of this week, we went back to the vet for blood work (to check liver & kidney function after all of the ibuprofen), and to check his gait.  We have been cleared to slowly increase activity, but still rest a lot.  No more muscle relaxers, but continue ibuprofen until his activity is back at normal, and then a slow wean.  I have cried, mourned the impermanence of my best friend, and hope that God grants me at least five more years with him.

Other things that are aging: my couch. I'm buying a new one.  I visited it a couple of times in the store, and had a friend sit on it with me.  On Friday, I ordered it - to be delivered on Saturday!
 Lastly, under the influence of the lovely Sarah, I went to Trader Joe's early this morning. I'd already completed my shopping for the week (minus hamburger buns - tune in later this week for its use!), so this was mostly impulse.
 I PROMISE:  I'll see you on Wednesday.  xoxo.

10 comments:

  1. That's so great that the vegan pigs in a blanket were a hit, especially with non vegans. I hope she is done with this nightmare soon.
    Poor poor Remy!! I am almost crying over here. I'm sending the best thoughts his way. Hopefully he'll just need to be a little less rambunctious for many many years to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week was really rough. She has had this week off, but will be back for more chemo/radiation on Monday. I can't imagine how horrible it must be!

      It has been a tough time for my little guy, thank you for your kind words! <3

      Delete
  2. Wow, it has been quite a few weeks for you. First, I'll keep you and your friend in my thoughts. What an absolute nightmare to go through. I am sure she is a very strong and resilient woman and will come through it just fine. It's nice that she has such wonderful, caring and supportive friends as well. Maybe next time you could do a big tray of vegan lasagna or something like that? Lasagna is always impressive and a good tofu ricotta can fool anyone!

    Poor sweet Remy, I'm so sorry he has been in so much pain. He will also be in my thoughts and I hope that he will improve and feel better. Such a sweet, loving boy. I'm sending so many healing and loving thoughts your way for both you and sweet Remy.

    Hooray for Trader Joe's hauls! I have the frozen pineapple on my list for next week along with frozen mango! I need some smoothies in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely fighting her way through it! These next months will be pretty rough, I have no doubt! There has been an abundance of pasta, so I'm leaning towards rice...but I thought of lasagna, too!

      We are taking it slow - some days crated, others not. Some days a short walk, others none at all. I have a feeling he'll be on the ibuprofen for months to come.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful meal you brought for your coworker- i hope she is able to make a speedy recovery. For your next turn to bring a meal they might be craving just a simple fresh veggies dish- i imagine they are receiving lots of casseroles and pasta. Maybe something like a taco salad or a chinese chickenless salad....

    Remy!!! Your poor baby, that sounds painful for the poor guy :/ the carrier to take him on walks is totally brilliant, i'm sure he enjoyed that. You're such a great mom, he is so lucky to have you :))

    I always leave TJs with stuff i didnt know i needed! I keep buying the japanese fried rice for quick freezer dinners with some extra edamame, i love whatever the seasonings are on it. I'm guessing sloppy joes for the burger buns?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am definitely leaning towards veggies! Perhaps a stir-fry.

      I received some looks regarding the carrier, and a few "oh, how precious" comments. It is definitely a work out, and will be used probably through the summer - or perhaps in perpetuity!

      Fantastic guess - you are correct! Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear Remy had a bad bout, but the thought of you on a walk with him in a carrier fills my heart with joy. Sending lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! It's pretty great that someone created the backpack carrier!

      Delete
  5. I was gonna suggest Lasaga for the friend as well. You excel as Pancakes and Waffles, maybe you could bring 'Brenner' ...like Tofu Scramble, Pancakes and Veggie Sausages.

    Sounds like Remy has a great vet. Carrying him sounds so wonderful. Being so close.

    Congrats on the new sofa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shen! I'm still figuring out the couch placement but it is comfortable! Very blessed with a good vet and a good Remy!

      Delete