Saturday, December 17, 2016

Winter is Here

A very busy work week preparing for finals, so I prepped some meals on Sunday evening: a quinoa-garbanzo- spinach- cucumber- dried cranberry- sliced almond salad for lunches. Tomato Coconut Curry Soup (served with toast) for a few evenings.

 Wednesday, Remy let me know that his back was hurting (whimpering, only sitting) so we were able to be squeezed in for an emergency appointment.
 Some years ago a similar type of behavior and pain existed, and it was confirmed to be inflamed spinal discs - common in his breed, and especially for his age - so he's on Vetprofen and the occasional muscle relaxer.  By the next day he was feeling/acting like himself.  I asked Frankie's mommy to visit him while I was at work, just to make sure he wasn't too woozy from the relaxant.  She sent pictures to show he was up and wanting cuddles, but not too clingy.  The vet said: it's time for more puppy staircases and less jumping.  So, a friend from work who has a small dog said she had an extra staircase, and gave it to Remy:
 Now he has one in the living room, and one in the bedroom!  We're not doing too much activity just yet, but now the weather has prevented anything too strenuous:
Eight inches fell over night, and when I was shoveling the sidewalks and digging out my car - it was three below.  Winter has arrived, indeed! Some of my weekend plans have been canceled, but I'm not heartbroken about it - more time with my boy, and some indoor chores! Happy weekend, everyone!

9 comments:

  1. So relieved Remy got good medical care immediately. Such a sweet little boy, he should never have a second of discomfort.

    Three below?! I have never experienced below zero temps. No idea how people do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm relieved too. I have leftover Vetprofen and muscle relaxers, so should he act in pain again - I can give him relief while we wait to go back to the vet.

      Oh, Shen, I'm sure you experienced something close to that temperature during your Mid-Atlantic years. You've gone soft in the VI. ;)

      Delete
  2. Poor Remy! Glad he's feeling better and that it seems to be pretty easy to deal with. How old is he?
    The tomato soup sounds fantastic. i've been doing a lot of prep too and it's a lifesaver during these busy times. Have a good holiday if we don't talk before then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's 8, and his breed averages 13-16 so I'm hopeful that we're not close to the end, but perhaps just needing some lifestyle adjustments.

      Happy Holidays, Maud!!

      Delete
  3. Poor Remy!! Please give him so many hugs from me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of cuddles have been given, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Aww poor Remy!!! I'm glad to hear that he is feeling better and how nice to inherit the extra set of steps! Please give him lots of cuddles for me!!

    The salad is so festive for the season and the soup looks delicious! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is spoiled with love from all of you! It's a process about life I'm not eager to accept, but I know I'll out live him and must hang on to every second of happiness he gives me.

      It's still pretty chilly here, and now that it is officially winter - I guess we're stuck! Lot of soups to come! Ha ha!

      Happy Hanukkah!

      Delete