Sunday, December 11, 2016

A Bit of Bah Humbug

Last week really handed it to me. I was super busy at work (lots of second semester debates with the admin, and tough talks with floundering seniors); had an intense sinus migraine (went to the doctor, they said to neti pot and Flonase twice a day for a week and if I'm not better, they'll get me antibiotics); and... two packages delivered by UPS were stolen off my front porch.  More on that in a moment.  But first, I finally finished off all and any leftovers from Thanksgiving and so my lunches consisted of whatever I had on hand:
 Couscous, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, Soyaki sauce.

Tis the season for toast with peanut butter.

Wednesday and Thursday were actually sub zero, but you get the idea:

Feeling slightly better, I joined my Mom and her friends for a Christmas tea yesterday.  The theme was a White Christmas! 
 I have a backyard stalker. As evidenced by the non-canine paw prints on the lower left.
 It's this guy. He's after my recycling bin, and having a hard time figuring out how to open it. Not gonna happen, buddy.  I told him, "no food here" and he replied angrily to me - tail lashing and everything.
 So while I have the squirrel stalking the back of my house, it seems a vile human was watching the front (or more likely, watching for UPS trucks).  It was a little over $100 worth of merchandise, and I'm frustrated because this isn't the first time. What's more frustrating is that one of them was a gift for my mother, and the price on the item has increased from $45 to $70, as I bought it on sale.  Further, the merchant is currently out of stock, so I've been refunded the money but now I don't have a gift.  The second company won't let me file for a "lost package" until 12/15.  I am most likely going to have future shipments sent to a local UPS store or my parents. It's stupid.

Anyway, I'll shake it off. I hope you've had a warmer, kinder week - and I'll see you soon!

11 comments:

  1. That's really terrible about your packages. I'm sorry that happened. It sounds like a much better idea to have packages shipped somewhere safe. Too bad you can't request delivery when you know you're going to be home.
    Maybe you could put some in shell peanuts out for the squirrel? They get hungry too and I always fear they don't remember where they hid their nuts from the fall.
    I hope you have a better week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to look into having them shipped elsewhere in the future or a signature.

      That's a great idea for the squirrels - most of them are a little chunky, so I bet they do well of our dumpster and gardens. Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about your stolen packages. Try not to let that Grinch steal your Christmas and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! I won't let the Grinch win, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Oh what a bummer about the packages! That's happened to me in the past. And it's stupid because it's never anything that anyone else would care about; just a hassle. Could you get packages delivered to work? That's what I do for important stuff now. Obviously I guess that doesn't help in the summer. If only you could train that squirrel to watch the front of the house and attack whoever's taking yr things.
    A Christmas tea sounds like a really nice idea. I've been trying to come up with holiday get-togethers that don't involve drinking and maybe that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our school is so big, that we order packages and lose them within the building. We have three schools on our campus, so I couldn't guarantee a safe delivery!

      Ha, ha! If only I could train the squirrel.

      Delete
  4. How horrible that people are so disgusting that they would steal your packages! It makes me so sad that people like this exist. I know it is an expense but a PO box might be a good idea of it is a consistent problem. You can have important items and packages shipped there. It is inconvenient and an expense but at least this wouldn't happen again?

    I am sorry you had a tough week but at least it looks like you had some good meals to balance the yuck out. The white Christmas theme at tea was absolutely beautiful, I'm sure that was a lovely time as well!

    I'm sorry things have been rough but I'm hoping that things turn around for you this week! And that it gets warmer, yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is so discouraging. :( I've now been refunded by both companies, but I don't have any products - which is why I spent the money in the first place! A colleague said to download the UPS app and have your package delivered to whichever UPS store is nearest to you. I'm not ready to try that yet - but one day I will.

      Delete
  5. Long time no see! Nice to see you're still blogging. I'm trying to get back into it. I'm also gonna try to get back on youtube for the accountability. I remarried last year and just had a baby 2 months ago. Gotta get rid of the baby fat. I can't believe your packages were stolen! We get packages all the time, but that's never happened. Scary! Hope you have a better week this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susy! Congrats on your newest addition to the family, that's wonderful!

      Delete
  6. I cant imagine how infuriating it would be to have your packages stolen. Maybe request that you have to have someone sign for the packages. Do the police know about it? Can you put up a surveillance camera?

    Great looking Peanut Butter on toast, btw.

    You get me distracted from the food in your posts what with the thieves and doggie bad backs.

    ReplyDelete