Sunday, November 13, 2016

Looking Ahead

I leaned on this book for recipe ideas the week ahead:
 Grocery shop yielded: collard greens, lacinato kale, smoky tempeh, gala apples, cauliflower, avocados, serrano pepper, parsnips (my first time cooking with them!), onion, curry powder, ground coriander...
 TJ's: cereal, granola, red lentils, and broccoli.
 I was trying to show my holiday Starbucks cup, featuring a coconut milk latte, but Remy had other plans. Gnome is the upper left hand corner.
 I'm pretty sick of anything election related, and the shock of it all has worn off.  Despite where you stand on who was elected, we must move forward.  Instead of focusing on the "why" and "how" it all happened, we need to figure out why we experienced the highest rate of apathy in voter turnout since 1996.  If we survive this new administration, I intend to rally up some American spirit so we don't have one-quarter of the nation driving this country.

9 comments:

  1. Oh i love parsnips! They're great roasted or steamed and mashed into potatoes. That's sucha big head of broccoli, it looks fantastic..!
    The lack of voter turnout is somehow nearly as upsetting as the results of the election itself- we are privileged to live in a country where we elect our leader, which is a responsibility that should be important to all americans.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - the lack of turnout is almost more frustrating! It's our right to vote, we should use it!

      Delete
  2. Oooh great looking meals! I need to get into my cookbooks more, I have so many just collecting dust. I'm actually craving frosted mini wheats now, I'll have to keep an eye out for them at Trader Joe's!

    You are right, the voter turnout was ridiculous. The whole thing is ridiculous. I'm with you, I'm tired of having to look at everything. I had a clear emotional reaction to it in the following days but for now, I'm taking a step back because I'm burned out. Although I have to say that the Biden/Obama memes taking over the internet are bringing me huge amounts of joy.

    Hopefully in two years people will get off of their asses for midterm elections and stop being so apathetic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant great looking haul, not meals, ha!

      Delete
    2. I knew what you meant! ;) If it makes you feel better - I didn't get to the very recipe that inspired my grocery haul! Ha ha! This week I will.

      Delete
  3. Dinosaur Kale! The best. When do we see what you made with all the fixins? How were the Parsnips? i have only had them off the WFs Hot Bar and wasnt a fan of the texture. Not as bad as Beets or Eggplant though.

    The election results feel like a huge (yuuuuuge) prank is being played out. No one was or will be as qualified as Hillary to be President. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make the Veganomicon recipe tomorrow! I cooked once last week, and used it for lunch each day, and my evenings were hit and miss. Lots of work and HOA stress...

      Delete
    2. I think people who enjoy conflict and stress are drawn to HOA meetings. Control issues and whatnot.

      Delete
  4. Voter apathy seems to be growing everyone at the moment. It's so depressing that, as you say, a tiny minority is effectively running the country. I'm not sure whether it's better or worse to think that so few people vote for Trump, really.

    ReplyDelete