Sunday, January 17, 2016

Fighting the Chill

It has already been a long winter. I only want hot food, and made an effort this weekend to mix up my meal temperatures (read: something that can't be served in a bowl).  But first, a Sarah-inspired oatmeal: 
Walnuts, coconut, dark brown sugar all up in my bowl of oats...

I keep trying to like seaweed snacks, but I just don't...
Yesterday's bowl of homemade potato leek soup was accompanied by crusty sourdough (dipped into it, naturally)...
Today's cup (not shown) of all that was left of the soup was accompanied by a spinach, dried cranberry, walnut, raspberry vinaigrette salad...
And these bites of deliciousness were just fine to eat room temperature (no, I didn't eat the whole bag - only a few! They'll be perfect when I want a little chocolate).
It snowed up to 15 inches in the mountains in the last 36 hours, and while that moisture won't land in the Denver metro area, the wickedly cold winds and foggy mornings make it extra chilly.  Thus, more hot food on the menu this week: more vegetable curry with saag, carrot ginger soup, Asian vegetable stir fry... And oatmeal, of course. I'll make all of it before Wednesday, so you can expect to see an example of each in that day's post.

Happy MLK Weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Ooh that soup looks so good! It hasn't been so cold here, only just now, but I'm into it.
    The oats look really good too, though I mostly eat mine cold.
    Only just heard about those Brownie crisp things. I don't get to TJs often, but I might tomorrow and will take a look around for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm usually okay with the cold but it has been exceptional and icy this year, much more than most!

      I hope you try the crisps, as they are delightful!

      Delete
  2. We've all been going mad around here about a tiny dip in the temperatures and a mild dusting of snow, and it's minus 15 with you! Must be something about the weather that inspires soup though - I've been making potato and leek too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So. Much. Cold. Here. I'm over it! Ha ha! Soups are great for cold weather!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the seaweed snacks! I haven't seen those brownie thingies...maybe it's better that I don't. I'm also currently resisting TJ's vegan churros (from the freezer)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only like nori, and only in veggie sushi... Just can't like seaweed in any other form!

      Ooh, churros!

      Delete
  4. A new TJ's product, eh? Such a great store. Hope you're hunkering down with your fuzzy fellow and relishing the day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell the mister to pick up a bag in his next continental trip!

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! Hooray for the oatmeal! Some of my favorite toppings too :) I've been loving my oats lately. It's definitely the perfect cold morning breakfast. The soup looks really incredible too and you can't beat a nice piece of crusty bread on the side.

    The TJ's treat looks yummy! I bet it would be yummy in some banana ice cream too ;)

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, yes - I'll have to re-purchase the brownie crisps in the summer to try in banana ice cream! Thick soup and chunky bread - little else says "cold weather food" to me!! I'm loving the variety of oatmeal toppings; you should do an oatmeal pos with your various favorites!

      Delete