Sunday, November 29, 2015

A Thankful Holiday

In August, my grandmother in Kansas announced that we would all be going there for Thanksgiving, as she wanted to be surrounded by family on the anniversary of grandpa's passing.  Life happened, and 8 people were waylaid by injury or ice storm but we had 13 adults, 1 baby, 5 dogs, and 3 cats at the farm for the holiday.  No arguing, no crying (we talked only once of grandpa), just lots of catching up, and love.  It was a great Thanksgiving!  We started the caravan of cars driving east on Wednesday morning, and I brought provisions:
My aunt who lives on the farm also had black bean burgers, and set aside mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts without dairy.  So nice! Otherwise I snacked on nuts, crackers, veggies, hummus, and sweets.  I didn't take many pictures, but here are the board games enjoyed Thursday and Friday night (yes, some were watching football and not playing!).


We returned yesterday, late afternoon. Tired, but with happy hearts. (Remy had a great time as well, and has been sleeping off and on since out return! Terra came, too, and received lots of love.)
I am planning on having a spectacular holiday season this year: cookie and craft gatherings, colleague festivities, choral concert, Nutcracker tickets... Just no decorations, as they were ruined and thrown out due to the flood (storage unit flooded and grew black mold). I'm trying to convince my father to lend me some of his Charles Dickens Village, since they never put it out, so maybe I'll have something. What are your holiday hopes for this year?  

See you soon!

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really lovely day! I love the Trader Joe's (Gardein) roast so much! I hope to feel a little more festive this year than I did last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The roast is quite tasty, I do agree! Yes, please do get in the spirit - this world needs more joy!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had such a beautiful holiday! It's really nice that you were able to create a new happy memory at the farm this year. Dinner sounds like it was really yummy! How is sweet Terra feeling? I'm sure that she and Remy were happy to keep each other company!

    I love your plans for the holiday season :) I took Delilah's holiday card pictures today so hopefully ill post those soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you! Terra is hanging in there. I'm not sure of her quality of life, but she is persisting!

      I hope you are enjoying the holidays! Delilah is so adorable!

      Delete
  3. Apart from the waylaying and ice, that sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving - family, fun, food. You couldn't ask for anything more. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joey! Weather is always a deterrent this time of year.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous holiday for you. You obviously dont get irritated by family as other people do...

    Super jealous of the TJ's haul as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma is still difficult, as she has very poor hearing (but refuses a hearing aid), and is a bit demanding. But outside of that, everyone else is pleasant! Ha ha!

      The mister needs to bring some TJ's down after his next VA visit!

      Delete