Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Enchiladas Attempted

I know now what to do differently (stack like a lasagna, do not roll corn tortillas), but here is what happened on Sunday:

 Easy enough sauce recipe, but very laborious in terms of peeling and de-seeding the roasted chilies.
 Filling: kale, mushrooms, and Beyond Beef.
 Prepared sauce (I put it through the blender for 10 seconds, as I like smooth with only a little chunk in my green chile), and prepared filling (sauteed in veggie broth).  Corn tortillas.  Assembled, and baked.
 The issue was the corn tortillas completely fell apart once removed from the pan.  Nonetheless, it created four servings (Sunday night, plus Mon-Wed lunches).
I want a "do-over" but with red sauce and stacked vegetables.  When that happens (maybe next week), I'll report back.  See you on Thursday!

13 comments:

  1. I know what yo mean. I always make what I call lazy man's enchiladas, and stack it like lasagna. It's too annoying to spend all that time rolling, and to have them fall apart. They look tasty and yum for green chili sauce, especially homemade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going the stacked enchilada route next time!

      Delete
  2. They look good, even if they do fall apart out of the pan. Corn tortillas also rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must have been great with homemade sauce. it has been years since I made Enchiladas, but I remember the Tortillas cracking when I tried to roll them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I need to stack them next time. Homemade green chile is a "thing" in Colorado, so it is somewhat required that I do make my own - even though I have no Latin blood!

      Delete
  4. Yum, those look amazing!!! I've wanted to make a lasagna like this for a while but have obviously been too lazy to do it. Now that it's freezing outside I think this would be a perfect meal for a chilly day! How were the beyond meat crumbles? Were they worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps. Enjoy your weekend!!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sarah! I need to email you back - will do that in just a moment!

      The crumbles were fine, I don't recall feeling negative about the, so I guess that's good! They are super expensive though ...

      Delete
  5. Wow, these look great! Glad to see you still making time for food prep and fun projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Maud! I've been hit and miss with the meal prep, hoping to do better :)

      Delete
  6. I hate when you do so much work and then you figure out a better way in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been making this lazy man version for some time. I agree with the other poster, these are simple to make and so healthy for you. When we tried to get the kids on board they kicked and screamed. Today, we let them make their own and they ask us all the time when are we having these treats again.

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra's Restaurant

    ReplyDelete