Thursday, July 23, 2015

Rosenberg's Bagels & Delicatessan

A few months ago, a friend made me aware of an authentic New York bagel shop in her neighborhood.  I finally got around to checking out their website and once I saw "tofu cream cheese" and "bialy", I made up my mind to visit immediately!


 They carry only one variety of bialy at a time, and today's flavor was onion. I realized this only after ordering my onion bagel.  I ate the bialy at lunch with a spinach salad, very good!
 Onion bagel with tofu cream cheese and a small coffee, to go.  All three items: $8.68
 I was a little disappointed in the thin and runny texture of the tofu cream cheese (I had to eat it over the sink, and wipe my chin).
But the bagel was delicious, and would warrant me picking some up and using Tofutti at home.  Yum!

8 comments:

  1. That does not look like one of Maud's NYC Bagels with Schmear. I wonder if you had eaten it in the restaurant if it would have been less melted? At least they cut it in half nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I retract my statement! Non-authentic NY bagels. ;) I think I'll just pass on the tofu cream cheese in the future...

      Delete
    2. Wow. Harsh words in the Tofu Cream Cheese. I would assume they're using Tofutti or some other brand as well. Never thought they would try to make from scratch.

      Delete
  2. Yay!!!!!!! This is so exciting!! The bagel looks great but I'm with you, I hate runny cream cheese. The bagel looks pretty authentic and the bialy definitely looks oniony :) did they have pumpernickel? You should try that if they do!!!

    I hope work isn't too much of a drag this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to have been able to try a bialy! I'm not headed to NYC soon, so that is as close as I can get for now!

      It has gone rather quickly, we've been so busy with meetings from 8am-6:30pm. Luckily we have a few breaks.

      Delete
  3. Tofu cc textures vary a little too much for me! Even FYH or TJ brand is too runny for me sometimes. The bialy looks rad! Glad those have made their way out West too. maybe you could get some to go and add onion slices and tomato :) That's how I like mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Tofutti has really ruined any hope of me finding other cream cheese substitutes acceptable! Ooh, I like your thinking - I'm going to have to buy a few and eat them that way!

      Delete
  4. There's just not enough good bagels where I live! The cheese may have been a bit runny, but I'm glad it tasted good!

    ReplyDelete