Sunday, March 8, 2015

Emerging from the Rut

I've been in food purgatory, bored with meals for a while.  I decided to combat it by purchasing this week's meal plan from Happy Herbivore.  I've done it before, perhaps a handful of times, and usually end up following 75% of it.  As it is a paid service, I can't share the recipes but I will share my food through photos!  I put together my list, and went shopping - around $40 total.

Above: Red wine vinegar, lotsa beans, canned tomatoes, breadcrumbs, tortillas (for wraps - there are a couple of options, but I chose these for their short ingredients and being a local business).  Below: cornmeal, flour, bouillon, tofu, cocoa powder, Tofutti.


Produce:


This week's meal plan features: falafel burgers (I wasn't feeling them, so I perused older plans I've purchased and will substitute one of those meals), sweet & sour stuffed bell peppers, portabello stew, citrus couscous salad, veggie wraps, cocoa chili, crispy tofu strips... and more!  Expect to see these, plus any of my own substitutions, this week. Hopefully this will pull me out of the rut! (In case you are curious - meal plans are changed on Wednesdays, so the one mentioned above is available until late Tuesday.)

P.S. Terra is doing okay, I'm alternating long walk days with rest days so as to not exhaust her.
P.P.S. I FaceTimed with my parents Saturday, and they are well - loving Israel! The Dead Sea tomorrow...

8 comments:

  1. Food ruts ar horrible. I would recommend getting some of the Native Foods Chili (make sure they pack the topping separately and dont let them forget the Cornbread).

    Glad your parents are having a nice trip. Did you know birds dont fly over the Dead Sea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting fact! I did not know that about the Dead Sea!

      I'm about one month away from paying off medical bills, so I'm trying to be frugal - but I will try the chili soon!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of such a meal plan! i always just dive into my oft-neglected cookbooks and make a large enough portion of something to take me through the week till I'm sick of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing the portion and eat four or five times, and am sick of it. Ha ha! This plan is great because each recipe only makes two servings.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! Such a perfect way to escape the food rut. It's so funny because I was perusing this cleanse plan thing that I purchased (mostly to have a ton of amazing juice and smoothie recipes) and was thinking that would be a great way to pull myself out of my rut. Great minds think alike ;) I can't wait to see the meals you will be eating, I bet they will be delicious. I am excited about starting something new, especially when I get my juicer back from my brother (I'm such a good sister lending out my precious juicer, ha!). The meals in your plan sound delicious!

    That's great that your parents are enjoying their trip! I bet they will love the Dead Sea. Make sure they rub that mud on them! The minerals are incredible! Are they going to climb Masada? So jealous, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really recommend her meal plans - it takes all of the uncertainty out of figuring out what to eat. You are a good sister - that juicer is awesome!

      I do recall something about Masada, but I'm not sure what! I know they spent the day exploring the Western Wall and City of David yesterday. I'm really looking forward to hearing their stories and seeing their pictures. Three more days!

      Delete
  4. Interesting idea about the meal plans - how many people do they make for? Is it all supermarket type stuff you need?
    Those photos of Terra from earlier are so beautiful. What's the cause of the deterioration?

    ReplyDelete