Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Jaali Bean Review

As mentioned last week, I found a new (to me) product: Jaali Bean. I purchased it on sale, at Sprouts.

The contents include a bag of lentils and rice, and a spice packet.


I was especially excited to see whole cardamom pods and a cinnamon stick!

 Easy to follow instructions of toasting the spices in a tablespoon of oil (I used olive, as that is what I have), although be sure to stir constantly as the coconut flakes toast quickly!.

The instructions mention substituting coconut milk for half of the water, in order to make this creamy coconut dish even creamier.  Sign me up!


Bring to a light boil and cover for 20 minutes.


Let sit for 5 minutes, and enjoy!


I added steamed spinach to make it a meal in my lunches both yesterday and today - so delicious.  It has a little bit of heat, but not overwhelming.  I will absolutely re-purchase, and hope to try their other varieties soon! Their website mentions being sold at Whole Foods, so I'll see if they have a wider selection.

See you on Thursday!

6 comments:

  1. Major professional blogging going on here. I will keep an eye out for this product, although I am not a Rice fan, I do like Lentils and Coconut Milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shen! I am totally professional. ;)

      I'd say give it a try - maybe you'll come around to rice!

      Delete
  2. Oh man this looks incredible! How cool that they include whole spices and I love the addition of the coconut milk. That must have made it so rich, creamy an delicious. I love the step by step pictures and that final picture of your fork with the rice is amazing! It made me hungry :) I'll have to see if I can find this!

    By the way, you should have a package arriving around Thursday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super yummy, I hope you try it! Such a reliable way to try Indian food without the fear of ghee!

      Will keep an eye out - thank you!

      Delete
  3. That looks crazy simple for mighty result! I'll have to keep a look out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super tasty, I hope you try it!

      Delete