Sunday, January 4, 2015

Hello, New Year!

I am so excited that a new year is upon us; a much needed fresh start, filled with hope and possibility.  I've tried to soak up these few days of near wellness before returning to work tomorrow.  Here are a few images from recent eats and activities:
 Homemade waffle with pb and maple syrup, black tea.

My cousin (who I didn't get to see over Christmas, due to my illness) sent me this beautiful bouquet, wishing me well.  She lives in Boston, although she grew up here, thus we've always been close. It was hard not to see her and her husband, and not get to meet her two month old daughter!
 Since Christmas, the snow continues to pile up.  My neighbor (Frankie's human) shoveled my front walk numerous times.  I felt up to shoveling the back yard eventually - here's the fun I had!
 Speaking of Frankie and his human, they both came over for a cup of tea and chat.  He and Remy played, then snuggled. (Remy is in need of a haircut, but we're in the single digits frequently, so I want to wait till it's a little warmer to shave him down!)
My brother and I had lunch at The Three Lions.  I enjoyed the Rice and Bean Salad with hibiscus tea.
I googled recipes with kale and couscous, and this beautiful salad recipe looked good.
 Kale, couscous, black beans, red bell pepper, and mango.  When I eat a portion, I will garnish with roasted sunflower seeds and a lemony vinaigrette (my house smells wonderfully citrusy at the moment!).
I hope the weekend has treated you well! I am still recovering, but the cough has moved up to the top of my chest, which I think is good news.  My stamina is slowly returning, but I am a little nervous about teaching - it takes a lot of energy! Hopefully I won't need a nap during lunch. Ha!

See you on Tuesday...

10 comments:

  1. Always fantastic waffles. I really ought to step up my game on that.
    Beautiful bouquet and snow. It snowed here, finally, yesterday, and was very pretty but didn't stick and soon just got really wet. I suppose I should be happy I didn't have to shovel it. Be careful out in that cold.
    The salad sounds great. I have been so lazy about cooking recently that I feel like I haven't been eating enough greens. Sad!
    Hope you are continuing to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Log Cabin All Natural Pancake/Waffle Mix (plus the ingredients you have to add), and a waffle iron. That's it! This was really the most cooking I was willing to do. I'm also feeling lazy about cooking anything that is longer than 8 minutes. Ha!

      Delete
  2. I so want to make a batch of Waffles, but such a hassle. So nobody you can hire to plow/shovel? should you invest in a snow thrower with Frankie's human?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our little group of rowhouses has a contract with a company, but it has to snow more than six inches at one time. This was over several days, so they didn't come shovel.

      Do it - make the waffles!

      Delete
  3. Wow, hope that sickness leaves your body soon! What a nice neighbor you have. Is Frankie under the blanket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. It's really exhausting to still be fighting this pneumonia! Yes, that's Frankie all burrowed under the blanket!

      Delete
  4. i'm glad you're starting to feel better! sending thoughts and prayers for a full recovery your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Ingrid! I'm so glad to hear that even though it is a slow recovery you are feeling better!

    Like everyone else I'm definitely craving some yummy waffles now. I should make a batch to keep in the freezer for quick reheating.. The kale salad is gorgeous, I'm sure it was so good. Isn't it funny how your body craves nutrient dense produce when you're sick? I've had a cold for a week and a half and I've been a total fruit and water monster the whole time!

    I'm sorry you didn't get to see your cousin at Christmas but how sweet of her to send flowers. I'm sure Remy's sweet face was really great medicine for you as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as though I am willing myself well with the kale salad and oranges! Ha ha! I think water makes all the difference in the world when we're well and when we're sick. I hope you are feeling better, too!

      The bouquet is lovely, and we had a nice chat on the phone on Sunday evening. Thus, it was almost like an in-person visit! ;)

      Delete