Thursday, January 22, 2015

Emotional, Mental, Physical


As mentioned earlier this week, our school had arranged to take students to see "Selma".  I did a little background on the events in Selma, but certainly did not have the depth of understanding of all the people involved. What a phenomenal experience. I cried at least three times, uncaring if any student saw me. It was so powerful, and I urge you to see it! I'm looking forward to the rich discussions we'll have in class tomorrow, even though words fail me when I think about the sacrifices and trials of this time in our history.

Prior to starting the day, my brain woke me up 30 minutes before my alarm. I figure it was payback for sleeping in on Tuesday.  I had time for a hearty toast with pb and banana:
 Packed my lunch of roasted brussel sprouts, apple, onion, dried cranberries and walnuts. (I made it last night for dinner. Another "meh" creation.)

Some edamame hummus and crackers in the afternoon.

A really, really hard 45 minute spin class. I started coughing in class, and continue to cough more than I have in over a week.  Apparently pneumonia did a real number on my lungs, and they are not liking this four workouts in a week situation. I'm going to dial it back next week to two or three (my coughing is more wheezy than bronchial spasm this time).  Back to letting my body be in charge, instead of my agenda.

Also, I lost my wallet on the way out of class, and noticed it when I got home.  Luckily, I was able to get a hold of someone and drive back - to find it wholly intact on the floor. Whew! When I returned home a second time, I was hungry and wanted something quick: angel hair pasta with soy crumbles and marinara to the rescue.

What a day! See you this weekend...

9 comments:

  1. angel hair makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby! It's always good in a pinch :)

      Delete
  2. So when you go see a movie with the class, you dont eat out too? That is no fun.

    i recently watched ' The Butler' and that was an eye-opener for me as well.

    Glad you're not pushing yourself to the brink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a noon movie, so the students had lunch then met us out front for attendance! Half of them bought tubs of popcorn and snacks.

      That's another movie I need to see - I hope you're able to make it to Selma! So good!

      I cancelled my class for tomorrow, so I'll be taking four days off before going back. Hopefully my body will think that is enough!

      Delete
  3. I've heard that Selma is really powerful. How did the students respond to it?

    I think your creation sounds delicious. I don't think you give yourself enough credit :) I love toast with lb and banana. I think that may be breakfast tomorrow! LOVE Angel hair pasta.. that must have been a very satisfying meal :)

    I'm glad you are not pushing yourself and that you are listening to your body. You'll get there, you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh toast with pb* stupid autocorrect

      Delete
    2. The students thought it was shocking; they couldn't believe events like that happened not so long ago. Being Juniors, most of these kiddos were born 1997 or 1998 so they were wee babes on 9/11. They haven't really seen much, and I explained that the riots in Ferguson will probably be something they remember just like I remember the L.A. Riots and Rodney King when I was in elementary school. But those events do not compare to the brutality endured during the Civil Rights Movement, in my mind!

      I'm taking a four day hiatus from workouts and going in for a massage today! Too much toast with pb could lead to more lbs - so you might be on the something. ;)

      Delete
  4. Cool, I look forward to seeing Selma. I'm sure it will also be pretty emotional.
    What would you have done differently with the Brussles? They sound pretty good. And the soup looks so lovely and velvety. A perfect winter food combination.
    Lucky you with the wallet! At least you knew where you lost it. I've lost mine so many times, it's ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so anxiety producing! Get a new license and insurance card, cancel the credit card, buy a new wallet... I was SO HAPPY to be able to get a hold of someone who could help me get back in the studio (the instructor had already left!).

      I used a little olive oil and a touch of agave (the recipes I saw recommended maple syrup, but I'm out). I think I also needed to use different apples that can handle roasting! Nonetheless - a very wintery meal! Two months till spring - woo hoo!!!

      Delete