Sunday, November 23, 2014

Here Comes the Holiday

My Thanksgiving Break started a little early on Friday, as I ran out of the building after teaching my last class to scoop up my grandparents from the hospital (my mother had deposited Grandma there in the morning before she went to work).  Grandpa, although weak and still needing rehabilitation, was discharged that afternoon.
My brother came over to my parents house Friday evening, and we spent time enjoying each other's company outside of a hospital room.  Midday Saturday, my parents drove the grandparents halfway to Kansas, where they were met by my aunt and uncle who took them the rest of the way home.  

The rest of the weekend has consisted of workouts, holiday prep, and relaxing.  First, the workouts: 45 minute spin classes both yesterday and today.  Prep: braving Whole Foods and all things pumpkin.
 My mother and I planned the Thanksgiving menu, and I thought I'd try the Gardein version this year.

Since I had strong armed a parking spot, I picked up lunch as well:
 I've already had pie: 
 Per Shen's recommendation: I made pumpkin pancakes this morning for breakfast.
 And the theme continued this evening, as I just finished sipping on a pumpkin pie smoothie.
Tomorrow, I plan to sleep in and have pumpkin pie baked oatmeal, followed by an hour long Cycle & HIIT class.  And more relaxing.  I've thought about grading/planning lessons... but no. None of that.  ;)

11 comments:

  1. So much pumpkin! That smoothie looks fantastic. I meant to make one with the last of my canned pumpkin but the stars never aligned - I made that half pumpkin bread instead!
    many many good wishes for your family. Love that first shot of yr grandfather. I bet everyone's happy that most of the stress is over.
    You deserve that pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I intend to use up the entire can of pumpkin within 10 days. Ha ha! Even Remy has had some. ;)

      Thank you, and while the stress isn't yet "fully resolved", it is now out of our hands - both literally and geographically.

      Delete
  2. Phew, discharge completed, that's some good news right there. Seconded that you deserve the pie, and all the other pies to follow. I'm going to get it in a bit early, and say happy thanksgiving too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news always deserves pie! ;)

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Look at Grandpa reading the newspaper! that is so excellent.

    I got a bag of thr Gardein Stuffed Cutlets as well. What did you think of the WF's Pumpkin Pie? What recipe did you use for the Pancakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, I thought it was an elegant introduction post surgery. ;)

      I used the pancake mix I have but added in pumpkin for oil/applesauce. I think I'll eat the rest of the pie but it isn't particularly flavorful. I have a feeling the cutlets are huge. Are we supposed to eat half of one at a time?

      Delete
    2. How odd, my WF's Pumpkin Pie was super flavorful. I can eat an entire Cutlet with no issues, one Cutlet is about the size of a deck of cards. Go crazy!

      Delete
  4. Aww I'm so incredibly happy that Grandpa is comfortable at home! It is such wonderful news, he looks great!

    A pumpkin party indeed!! Everything looks amazing, I'm jealous of all of it! So now those pancakes have 2 glowing recommendations I guess I need to find some time and make a batch! I actually enjoy those stuffed gardein things, I hope you like them too! Your photos looks really beautiful and don't think that all of that shiny pumpkin took my eyes off the prize... those yummy looking dolmas!! ;) so good!

    Hooray for short work weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! He's still very weak and will need weeks of rehab (he fell today). Glad to know he's still fighting!

      I plan on having a full overdose of pumpkin, that I might get it all out (or in, rather) my system over the next short while. ;)

      Delete