Sunday, October 5, 2014

Small Steps

As you can imagine, last week was tough.  There are times the reality of it all hits, and the intense feelings return. Spending time with family and close friends, and working, helps.  I'm also trying to get back in the habit of taking care of myself on a physical level - committing to yoga (at home or in a studio), and getting the right nutrition.  Last week, when I had an appetite - it was all carbs.  Here are a few images from the weekend:
 Saturday morning, I sipped on a Pumpkin Latte with Almond Milk from Steep whilst working on my next AP Lit unit: Beowulf.  A good friend joined me a little later, and we ended up taking a walk and talking for three hours!

On sale (30% off!), so I picked up a tub and am committing to drinking one (mixed with water or unsweetened almond milk) everyday.
 A colleague has a vegan girlfriend who makes homemade marmalade, and I was gifted Apple Pear Cider.  Very good!
 This afternoon I hung out with my parents and brother (they watched the Bronco game, I worked on my lesson calendar for October).  Remy obviously came along, as he is my favorite family member.  Kidding. Everyone is my favorite. ;)
Grandpa update: the "how long" appointment is on Tuesday (which is when they will also arrive from Kansas, via my uncle who will drive them out).  I am leaving work early to go to the appointment, and am strongly considering getting a substitute for Wednesday to spend time with him and process the appointment outcome.  The tumor has crossed over into the other hemisphere, and is continuing to grow rapidly.  He does not complain of pain, and is singing in his sleep, according to Grandma.  

I'll be sure to update after the Tuesday appointment, even if I can't post on the day.  Big love to all of you, and thank you for your encouragement! xo

7 comments:

  1. Singing in his sleep sounds sweet. I hope everything with the fam is as painless as possible. It's nice that you are all so close, geographically and emotionally.
    Apple Cider marmalade! I had no idea you could make that. The latte looks like a good accompaniment to Beowulf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I also wanted to add: if you don't feel like having a smoothie everyday as the weather gets colder, I add protein powders to warm oatmeal sometimes... but maybe you just enjoy smoothies.

      Delete
    2. Adding it to oats sounds like a great idea! Right now I'm just adding water or unsweetened almond milk but definitely not first thing, as most morning it is pretty chilly in the house.

      It has been great to spend a lot of time with everyone, even though it is bittersweet. He's not the same person, and that's hard. Thanks for the love!

      Delete
  2. I'll be thinking of you and your family on Tuesday. I'm sorry that you all have to go through this difficult time. At least he is not in pain. I'm sure sweet Remy wouldn't mind extra cuddles if you need comfort. Animals are always so comforting in hard times. I'm sure the three hour walk and chat with your friend was a nice distraction, it sounds like a lovely afternoon.

    How nice of your colleague and his gf to gift you with the marmalade. It sounds really delicious and what a great deal on the Vega! Did you get it from Whole Foods? I would totally get a tub if it is still on sale...

    Sending you lots of internet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sarah! We're still kind of in limbo, but once we have more info I'll update everyone. Remy snuggles have been a plenty! The Vega was purchased at King Soopers, but I did see it on sale at Whole Foods, too - and I think it will be on sale until 10/14.

      I can feel those hugs, thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Such trying times. Guess the best thing you can do is take care of yourself physically and focus on the positive -- like your adorable son and your friends and colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Shen! Thank you for the love!

      Delete