Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Weekend

Despite this being a day of rest, I am working on school lessons - not because I'm an overachiever, but because I'm not ready for the week! Prior to all of this fun, I did a 36 hour trip to Kansas for my great aunt's 90th birthday / mini family reunion (read: people I don't know), and to go through cabinets and closets in my grandparents' house.  They (read: grandma) have decided to sell their house and move into an assisted living apartment.  The move in date isn't until October, so there might be a few more weekend trips on the agenda.


 While others (above) slept on the trip back, I marveled at the show in the sky.

Prior to leaving Saturday morning: iced coffee and a trip to the Farmer's Market:


Small town sandwich shop: veggie sub with a little too much mustard:

Back to laboring on this day off.... See you tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Must be difficult for your Grandparents to give up such a nice house. Looks you were able to make the best of a sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandma has been talking about it for years, and now she's given up cleaning and cooking. We're not sure Grandpa is eating, and eventually he won't be able to see well enough to toil in his beloved gardens. Regardless, it's hard for the rest of us!

      Delete
    2. Sheesh! Some of that is all too familiar here. They're so fortunate to have a loving supportive family.

      Delete
  2. Haha, too bad for laboring today! But I hope it makes the rest of the week easier for you.
    Love the coffee shots. I was so hungry yesterday and had noooo food in the house and almost stopped at Subway for a most-likely looking sandwich like yrs. (held off)
    Gorgeous farmar peaches. Zucchini too! I can always find zucchini nearby but it's never as texturally good or as fresh as the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've continued to labor well past the work day today, too! Call it the curse of teaching!

      I agree - market produce usually wins! No fluorescent lights and days on the shelf to damage its deliciousness. ;)

      Delete
  3. It's really nice of you and your family to get together, especially to help your grandparents. You have some really beautiful pictures from the weekend. Beautiful pictures of the sky and sleepy puppies are always a welcome sight! So adorable!

    I love that straw!! it's so cute! Nice haul from the farmer's market... I didn't get any peaches from the store today but I did get pink lady apples, yay! The sub looks good, was it lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion (and a ton of mustard)? I can't see anything else. Gotta love veggie subs, they are especially great when you need a vegan option on the road!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! There will be other weekends like that, I'm sure! The sky was so beautiful, I'm not sure I captured how gorgeous it truly was! Terra does her best to look cute while sleeping. ;)

      Yes - just those ingredients, as their local shop didn't have too many options. Ooh! I'm excited for apple season, I need to check some out this weekend!!

      Delete