Monday, September 29, 2014

For a Reason

I meant to post all of these photos yesterday, but a visit in the evening set my sails in a different direction.  More on that in a minute...

The day started with an Amazing Grass and water beverage, followed by the Larabar sample (eaten in the car) from last week's swag bag. Remy had an early grooming appointment.

Mission accomplished, and eyesight obstacles removed:
 Inspired by Shen's trip to Native Foods, I picked up a Reuben (and fries - didn't get the picture).  I ate the second half (pictured below) for dinner.
 I prepped a salad for school lunches this week, using these ingredients:
 My parents came by last night (my mother had been in Kansas all weekend, getting my grandparents all settled in their assisted living apartment), and shared some sad news: my grandfather has a rapidly growing tumor in his brain. It's the size of a baseball, and he is declining daily.  At 91 years old, his body couldn't handle surgery or chemo, so now we wait for option number three. He has an appointment next week, here in Denver, so at least I'll get to see him. I'm happy to know he's not in pain, but he is so confused and repeats himself over and over. My heart breaks for those of us left behind (especially my grandmother and mother).  All of the chaos of my job quickly melted away, and I'm reminded about what is important: people and those you love. Hug someone, tell them you love them - life is precious.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I hope that option three will be something that will help him feel better and more comfortable. You are so right, there are far more important things in life than the little things that stress us out. I'll have you and your family in my thoughts and I'm hoping that the Drs will find a solution. Hugs to you, I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont even know your Grandfather and I feel sick about this. I am sure your family is devastated. my deepest sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about yr grandfather. How hard for the rest of the family. It's nice that you are all able to get together. Best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best to all of you, Ingrid. Thank goodness for people who know not to take loved ones for granted. Also, great fringe, Remy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about your grandfather! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the kindness and thoughts, everyone. Today was a better day, no tears, moving on to acceptance perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ingrid, I've just been catching up on the blog, and I saw this. I'm so sorry to hear about that. Such news whenever it comes it always the hardest. Your last sentence is painfully true, whatever our circumstances.

    ReplyDelete