Sunday, September 14, 2014

Ah, Weekend!

I am so thankful for weekends in general, but I appreciate this one because it was a perfect blend of productivity, social activity, and rest. I'll take one more, please!  And, we've had a summer relapse - 89 degrees today.

Saturday morning trip to the Farmer's Market: fire roasted Hatch chiles (from New Mexico, medium heat), corn, broccoli, and a Beet Box brownie (they always have a stand, but I usually resist temptation).
 I met a few friends for lunch at Spices, and while I didn't photograph my Chopped Salad "romaine, red onion, tomato, cucumber, and avocado (swapped for the cheese)", I did photograph our trip across the street!
 Ha! You can see one friend's reflection, and the other friend's foot in the air as she was posing for a picture.  Inside Voodoo Doughnuts:
My Vegan Raised Glazed:
In case you are new to the Voodoo schtick - it's all sexual, all the time. Phallic donuts, double entendre souvenirs- so yes, the bag says what you think it says. But the doughnut was effing amazing. Light and airy - I ate it all in one sitting.

Sunday was basically one big "Ode to Sarah", as I had oatmeal with coconut, almonds, and dried cranberries (and black tea)
 And, I made raw pad thai - inspired by this post - while not as photogenic, it was fun to make and pretty tasty!
 Spiralized zucchini, broccoli slaw (red cabbage, carrots, broccoli sticks), green and white onion, shredded green cabbage, homemade spicy peanut dressing, and peanuts.
This made something like six servings, so I'll be having this quite a few times this week!

Is anyone watching "Outlander"? I read the first three in the series years ago (we're talking late 90s, early 00), and while I'm remembering some of what happened but not all, the show is really well done. Let's give the casting team a raise because Jamie is gorgeous. So hot. I can't. OMG.

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun and delicious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a great weekend! It went from the low 50s to almost 90?! That's insane! I'm so glad you had a perfectly balanced weekend, it sounds amazing. Is the Voodoo Doughnuts near you new?! I didn't know of any locations outside of Portland! That is so exciting! What other vegan options did they have?

    Haha yay for Sunday! I'm sure you could have figured that I'd love it ;) your oats look delicious and your raw pad thai!!! I want to make it! I'd love to know your peanut sauce recipe, it looks amazing. The finished product looks incredibly tasty, I'll definitely have to try that soon! Aren't leftovers the best? I'm sure it'll be even more tasty as it'll soak up all of that great flavor in the sauce.

    Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has remained close to 90 since - I don't know what is going on!! Voodoo opened here some time ago, I think it opened in December. I've been meaning to get there for a while, but I'm glad it happened with friends! I'm not sure - they didn't have them labeled, but whilst in line I checked their website and when I paid.

      It was definitely a Sarah-inspired day! Ha ha! I need to get some walnuts in my oats, that would really do it. ;) The raw pad thai is so good, and just today a third co-worker was jealous of my lunch - all thanks to you!

      If we don't cross paths - enjoy your trip!!

      Delete
    2. Peanut sauce (loosely based on Happy Herbivore): 2 tbsp hot water, 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp peanut butter, sriracha. Wisk and let sit to improve flavor. I doubled this so I could cover a lot of veggies.

      Delete
    3. Yay, thanks for the recipe!! And thank you, I'm so excited to go. I need this vacation more than anything right now :)

      Delete
  3. Haha I like yr Sarah Sunday! The oats look really smooth. Good call on that raw pad thai, looks great.
    Very cool on the doughnuts! It looks heavenly. I think you are supposed to eat doughnuts all in one sitting anyway. Also wondering what other flavors they had. I tried really hard to see yr friends in the reflection. I didn't realize Voodoo had a sexual schtik! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The raw pad thai is so good! A great way to get in some crunchy vegetables.

      I agree - doughnuts are for one sitting! Ha ha! Oh yes - they like the sexiness. ;)

      Delete
  4. What are you gonna do with the Chilis? Are your friends school teachers as well?

    I sure hope VooDoo Donuts follows Native Foods to the east coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make enchiladas or burritos! Or both! Most likely this weekend, as I forgot to pick up a few items at the store this weekend.

      It's interesting that they have two Oregon stores and one in Denver, but they are not the first to make that jump. Fire on the Mountain, a place I've visited before (and blogged about) did the same move.

      Delete