Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Food

Airport / Airplane food:  we flew Air Canada, and I failed to request a vegan meal on time - although, from what I'm hearing, it might not have been vegan anyway.  Prior to boarding in Denver, I bought a very expensive hummus & pretzels ($5.50), and apple.
Other airport purchases: Salt & Vinegar chips, at Heathrow: Marks & Spencers Food Store Sandwich: falafel & spinach, mixed nuts.

Breakfast: out of our nine night stay, four of the them did not include a continental breakfast.  I put almonds and granola in my checked luggage, and we went to TESCO supermarket for the rest (all rooms had coffee, tea, and kettle).  Usually it was apples and scones (too bad I couldn't find any vegan ones - they looked good).
Hotel continental breakfast for me usually consisted of toast, jam, fruit & coffee.  Occasionally dry cereal.

During the day: most of the time, we grabbed something quick and shoved it in our face while walking to our next destination.  On most occasions, I dipped into Pret A Manger for a wrap: either falafel or avocado, tomato.  I thought I took a picture of one, but I didn't.  Other midday meals included this beautiful Parsnip & Apple Soup at Dover Castle:

Other days we were too busy and had snacks in the late afternoon before heading out for dinner later (also from TESCO).

My brother is not a foodie, and he likes food to be cheap.  We had one big meal out a day, and it was at a variety of places.  Wagamama, Yasai Yaki Soba (without the egg - and with crushed peanuts because I wanted pad thai, but their noodles were not vegan).  Yummy.

Tortilla. Just like Chipotle, but not as good.  Decent enough.

Pub Food: Veggie Burger & Chunky Chips (I had this exact plate two nights in a row - good.)

But more often, I had a side salad with vinaigrette and a plain jacket potato.  Occasionally I'd throw some sauce on the potato. No butter for me.

I thought I took more, but so often we were distracted (and glad to be sitting!).  I can say that English food while not particularly flavorful, wasn't that bad.  I know they've worked long and hard against a bad reputation! Also, I ate a lot of salads with "rocket" and only had spinach twice.  I'm sad to say that we did not make it to a vegetarian restaurant. The time period in which we were near that area (Covent Garden) was a particularly stressful day, which I'll share more about later.

See you tomorrow with our first day trip!

11 comments:

  1. Oh no, that wrapped $1.99 apple is so sad! I hope you slept on the plane and weren't hungry.
    I know it's not a lot of people's preferred way of eating + traveling, but I'm with yr brother - one good meal out a day on vacation is enough for me. I always stress out about money on trips and sometimes just cobbling together snacks or food from grocery stores works best. Especially since there is stuff to SEE. In any case, I hope you don't feel like you missed out.
    Looks like you got some great food in anyway - the parsnip soup sounds like something I need to make this fall and even the salad with the potato is very pretty.
    But yeah, I'm not sure mexican food has really caught on yet in England to be made well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. England is crazy expensive, especially with the weak American dollar (around $1.70 to every £1) and so we had agreed ahead of time to only have one big meal a day. Combined with all of the walking, I probably lost weight! Ha!

      I think you're right - so much to eat with your eyes! I do want to do a foodie vacay, perhaps to the Northwest but this wasn't too focused on tastebuds, more on ease of access and affordability (which some of it wasn't - the noodles you see? £9, so about $17. Most main course pub meals were as such.)

      Delete
  2. Oh dear! almost like prison food on your vacation. Good thing I wasn't along. All I care about is eating, drinking and shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Good thing I like potatoes. ;) Next time, we'll go together and eat, drink, and shop at Harrod's.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I also pilfer the glasses and cups. I'm sure you now wish you had as well.

      Delete
  3. Smart thinking to bring some snacks along. I actually ate exactly like you did when I was backpacking... we'd go to the grocery store for some fruit and we'd get a loaf of bread and it would be breakfast for a few days. One meal out in a restaurant per day. It's definitely tough to be a vegan over there and potatoes are sure to be a staple but it looks like you got a few decent meals in there. The noodles look really good and the photo is gorgeous!

    Bummer you couldn't get to a veg restaurant but it looks like you made it through without it. The soup actually sounds really good too.

    Looking forward to your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grocery stores all the way! Considering the price of the plane ticket, and trying to keep our expenses in check, this was definitely the way to go. There were some really delicious sounding places, but I suppose I would've had a hard time convincing my carnivorous brother to go in. His plate included a few rounds of fish & chips, and bangers & mash.

      I couldn't believe I actually whipped out my big Nikon to take the noodle picture - but my phone was dead, I was exhausted, and thereby, didn't care. Happily, it is a great picture! Ha ha!

      Delete
  4. I'm shocked at the price of the apple. I hope it was at least organic! I'm glad you were able to get some food, though, at least. You ate like we eat most of our meals when we go on trips. Going out to eat is limited to once a day and the rest is kept pretty simple. Definitely feel better that way!

    Parsnip & apple soup sounds really good to me. Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two dollar apple didn't shock me. It was the $5.50 for the similarly sized hummus and pretzels that I couldn't believe! But I wandered the airport, and couldn't do better... I think this was probably a better way to eat out, too. It's so expensive, and probably better nutrient - wise.

      I did like the soup! It was definitely a puree, but wanted to try it since they labeled it vegan.

      Delete
  5. It looks like you've definitely not had the best that English food has to offer! Ouch. I wouldn't be overly impressed with that line up, so I'm not surprised you think the food's bad! There's some really great veggie and vegan places over here, and loads of places that do some nice vegan options in London, honest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are some fantastic places, and I'm so sad I didn't make it there! I really blame my carnivorous brother for not making it - ha ha! I ate well enough, and honestly didn't mind any of my meals. Next time, I'll have you book my meals (or better yet - meet with me!), and I do intend to go back! :)

      Delete