Thursday, July 17, 2014

London, Part 3

This post is dedicated to the pop culture we visited during our trip! My brother is a fan of Doctor Who, so it was necessary that we find the TARDIS.  Thus, we traveled to Earl's Court Station on the Tube, where the only police blue box exists.


While we did not make it to Baker Street and the Sherlock Holmes Museum, we did make a point to lunch at the Sherlock Holmes Pub:  truth - I ordered only "chunky chips" and slathered them in ketchup. Not too many options at this establishment.


Our very last night, we made our way up to Abbey Road.  It is an actual intersection, and the picture I took of my brother on his phone turned out the best, but I don't have that image - but you get the idea.  Also, I photographed complete strangers because it was funny (welcome to my blog, people I don't know!)

 (Brother above, Strangers below)
Abbey Road Studios (site of the album recording) is covered in signage

Earlier in the trip, when we had the car, we drove to Warner Brothers Studio London.  They have turned the lots where they filmed Harry Potter into a tourist attraction, leaving the set and costumes, as well as special effects, available for our perusal.  It is a functioning studio, with back lots and productions of other films still in progress.  If you are not a HP fan, feel free to scroll to the bottom! (I read the series and saw the movies, as did my brother!)







We also went to King's Cross Station and found Platform 9 3/4, but I'll save that photo for the bonus edition. Ha!

This weekend will consist of two posts: Food Edition & Our First Day Trip: Windsor

13 comments:

  1. How about Piccadilly Circus? Portobello Road? Hyde Park? Trafalgar Square? The Tate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to Piccadilly and Trafalgar Square (and Leicester Square, and Covent Gardens)... I've been to the Tate before, but didn't get there this time. Portobello Road was a big disappointment as I wanted to see the open market! It's so hard to know what to cut, since I took 200+ photos! I will include a few of those places in my bonus post (when I tell you the horror stories.. ).

      Delete
    2. Ooooh! Looking forward to the horror stories!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks like you are having so much fun there! SR loves Doctor Who, too. Are you going to meet up with Joey from Flickin' the V's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already stateside! I did not catch Joey, but I definitely did think of her often!

      Delete
  3. I feel so spoiled by all of these great posts! Very cool theme of pop culture for today's post. THe blue box is so cool! And I bet those chunky chips were tasty at the Pub. Why do I get the feeling that you consumed a lot of potato on this trip? ;) I remember being obsessed with jacket potatoes when I went... I'm pretty sure I got them in England, Ireland and Scotland, ha! This was in my pre-vegan vegetarian days.

    Very cool Abbey Road pics! The pic of your bro is very cool, I'm sure he is so happy to have it! I like that you took the one of the strangers too, the one in the blue shirt looks really stoked about it, ha!

    I've never read or seen Harry Potter but I still think it would be very cool to be able to see the sets and costumes that were used in the movies. It looks really interesting and it must have been really fun for HP fans! I especially love the last photo of the street. So cool!

    Looking forward to finally seeing what you ate! I'm always curious about international vegan finds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a jacket potato a couple of times, but just plain. I was tempted to get some with baked beans, but couldn't be sure about the pork factor. Oh, yes, I ate potato once a day and actually had "chips" twice one day... and felt ill. There's a reason we don't eat fries often! Ha!

      There were a lot of people at that Abbey Road intersection, and some really hilarious posing. Being fans of HP really made the whole experience more magical!

      You've already nailed it on the head: potato! Ha ha! There were a few other things, too. ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! I'm a Harry Potter fan (I wouldn't say a huge fan, other people might) and I had no idea they left the costumes and sets up!
    Love the random strangers, haha. And way to go Lisa and mike, taking up the entire wall.
    Okay sorry I can't stop thinking about wanting to live in that Harry Potter world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have 30 more photos of HP, but thought I'd try to hold back! Ha! I think my brother is quietly in love with Emma Watson (her clothes were tiny, she must be quite petite!). If you can ever do the tour, do it. We did it in about an hour and half, but we were rushed (we had a deadline to return the car, and didn't want to be charged if late).

      Ha ha! Yes, congrats to Mike & Lisa! The entire side of the street near the studio was covered in writing - all of the bricks, and the mortar in between! The amount of cars that had to wait as people posed was pretty funny, but no one was honking thankfully. ;)

      Delete
  5. It seems really wrong to admit it, but I've never seen that Tardis! Clearly I need to rectify this at once! And you're right about the pub food situation - they're really not the most vegan friendly places, though there's a chain called Wetherspoons that does some vegan options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a moment to locate it outside the station, as we exited on the opposite side! A gentleman asked us if "something peculiar" was happening or if we just liked to take pictures of police boxes... Ha! I think we might have run into that chain you mention!

      Delete
  6. I think it's so awesome that you saw all of this. It's exactly what we would do if we went there! I'd be especially excited about Abbey Road. Doctor Who is a series I really want to start watching but I'm saving that for winter. The Harry Potter lots would be really cool to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already wished we had more time, even though it seemed like we were doing our best seeing everything! I'd recommend all of these places!

      Delete