Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day Trip - Highclere, Stonehenge, & Salisbury

Upon leaving Windsor, we headed for Highclere Castle - the setting for Downton Abbey.  We knew the castle would be closed to the public, but you can enter the grounds to take a footpath around the property.



It's moments like this where an extra lens would have come in handy! But, nonetheless - there it is!

Stonehenge: the photos can do the talking



As you can tell, the beginning of our visit to Stonehenge was quite soggy, but it did dry out towards the end.  We were there for about two hours, then drove 15 minutes to Salisbury, where we would stay the night.

Salisbury is known as a "cathedral city",  and is quite ancient in its roots. It has evidence of a Neolithic settlement, and was occupied by many people including the ancient Romans.  Our (super budget and not great) hotel was in a 17th century hunting lodge.  We strolled around the city before dinner, and here are some shots I snapped (including the 900 year old cathedral!).






Tomorrow: Dover Castle & Southend-on-Sea

7 comments:

  1. I am seriously loving these recap posts! And your amazing photos! How cool that you got to go to Highclere. My mom will be jealous, she loves Downton Abbey. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that first picture of Stonehenge. The darkness and ominous sky make it look even more intense and mysterious. It must have added to the vibe there as well!

    How embarrassing that I couldn't figure out Salisbury considering I was there visiting that same Cathedral when I was in England! Oops! You got some beautiful pictures there, I especially love the arches and the door in the third to last picture. So beautiful.

    I was actually going to ask you if you stayed in hotels or hostels but it looks like you answered my question ;) Probably a good idea not to have 14 roommates... I know this from experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Downton, too. I'm a grandma on the inside, it appears! Ha ha! Stonehenge is definitely a sight to behold, and next time I'd love to head north to see Hadrian's Wall.

      I'm so glad we added Salisbury to our trip, and walked around the town. Such an idyllic small town, and with such a history! I took a lot of pictures of the cathedral, and I'm not even Catholic!

      I stayed in hostels and shared-bathroom-type hotels when I was in college, but now I'm too light of a sleeper to share a room with people who snore. Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Interesting excursion. Looks like you made a list of what you wanted to see and made it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in southern England, one must see Stonehenge - Highclere was on the way and Salisbury was the closest place to sleep! It worked out really well!

      Delete
  3. I really love the old buildings and I especially love Stonehenge! The pictures you took of it are gorgeous.

    My mom has really loved watching Downtown Abbey. Is it a show you've watched?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a fan of Downton Abbey!! I wish the castle had been open, but at least we got close to it. Even though it rained, Stonehenge turned out well in the photos! I love old buildings, too!

      Delete