Thursday, June 12, 2014

Yard Work

After a mid-morning Align & Flow class, I set to work on one of my summer projects: the yard.  I started with the fun part - shopping for flowers (and more mulch for the front yard).
 (Chain store above, local store below)
 I picked up the mulch and potted plant (purple & white flowers) from the chain, and the pallet of marigolds from the local store.  Remy was not picked up at any store.
 After weeding a little in the front yard and putting down mulch around the bushes - I realized three bags was not enough.  So, that will have to require a continuance - as well as trimming back bushes and trees.  It's pretty hot today, so I'm going to wait until the evening to put the marigolds in the ground (in that stretch of earth below Remy's chin).

On a side note, we went to Remy's grocery store for what could be the last time.  This local store is moving to Arizona, so we'll have to find another local shop to support!

P.S. Why are hanging planters so effing expensive?! In my experience, they are such a gamble: they could dry out or fail to thrive very easily. 

10 comments:

  1. Look at how productive you were! The plants you picked up are very pretty and look at Remy being all handsome and adorable!! He always makes me smile :) Bummer about the store moving to Arizona! I hope you can find another store to support. I love that you support the smaller mom and pop shops :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love orange, yellow, and dark red flowers. Had I been able to find a basket with those colors, instead of purple and white - I would have purchased it!

      Shop local as much as possible - that's the way it should be! ;)

      Delete
  2. I admire your mulching, I just put down newspaper which eventually blows away. Planting any Tomatoes this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbors use pesticides, so no edibles here. I support the farmer's market every week as possible!!

      I seem to be on a pattern with mulching - only every other year do I put some down.

      Delete
  3. I agree about hanging plants. There have been so many that I wasted money on, only to have them shrivel up. Very few have survived, so I gave up on them. Plus, the cost is ridiculous!

    I love the marigolds you found. Such variety in them! We planted a few of the really large ones this year and I adore them. Mulch, not so much. We go through 3 yards of it every year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is such a bummer because some of those hanging baskets are gorgeous!! I have half a mind to buy potting soil, flowers separate, and a basket. A DIY hanging basket.

      I need to find out the calculations, but I purchased 10 bags total from Home Depot. Luckily, I don't normally have to do this much (one larger portion under a pine tree that desperately needed coverage - the burlap was showing everywhere!), and I seem to do it every other year.

      Love, love, love marigolds! I'm going to ask my neighbor to water them while I am out of town in a few weeks.

      Delete
  4. I hope we get to see pictures of the finished yard! It sounds like it will look really nice.
    I was always a grump about helping my mom garden when I was growing up, but I can see it being a nice activity. I'd probably get lazy about it though - just buy the flowers and leave them in the pots all around, ha! I definitely do not have a green thumb - managed to turn two succulents to mold recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just that, and all for you! You'll see the pictures in my post from today. I only get the gardening buzz once a year, and it's about now. However, if I more diligent the rest of the year - it might be easier!

      Delete