Thursday, June 19, 2014

Summer Hike

This morning I awoke and decided it was time to put hike #1 in the books. I brainstormed where to go, and quickly chose to head 40 minutes outside of Denver to Boulder.  Specifically to Chautauqua (Shuh-talk-wha) Park, as it sits on the outskirts of Boulder proper.  I lived a half mile from the park entrance during my senior year of college, but was too busy drinking studying to hike it regularly.
I called a friend (who is also on summer break), inviting her and her dog to join us.  The trail was busy with families, trail runners, and dogs.  We did an hour long hike with beautiful 80 degree weather and a cool breeze.


(Remy and Clemens - as in Samuel Clemens)
(Boulder above, Flatirons below)
Remy is now sleeping, and probably will for the rest of the afternoon. I'm going do some yoga to make sure my joints aren't too tight, as I haven't hiked since last October.  You can expect to see more, soon! 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful hike, gorgeous weather. I took the day off but haven't even left the house yet. Not that there's anything as scenic outside anyway.
    Yoga and a hike! I really wish I had yr workout ethic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said everything I was too lazy to type. #jealous

      Delete
    2. Thanks, ladies! Maud: days at home can be just as lovely! It was a very gentle yoga, with only three sun salutations,so not really too much work! Abby: I'd love to see a post with you and 89 exploring your area!

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful country out there.

    Lots of sensory input for Remy and his friend. They must be very obedient to risk letting them off leash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The state is particularly green this year, which makes it more beautiful than usual.

      There are designated on leash and off leash trails. This stretch was off leash, and Remy is trustworthy when we are in wilderness but in the city - heck, no. He has no fear of cars, and thinks that all yards are his playground. He has escaped from me only a handful of times, and it was terrifying! I don't know why wilderness is different for him; he minds really well and stays close.

      Delete
  3. What a perfect day! The pictures are so gorgeous, everything looks so vibrant. Remy and Clemens look like they are having so much fun! I would be tuckered out too if I were him.

    Glad you were finally able to get a hike in! Looks like you had a really great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great hike, and I think the dogs loved it! It's all uphill from the start, I'm not sure it showed it that way in the photos, but I can definitely feel the workout in my hammies and glutes!

      I've got a couple of places in mind that require over an hour in the car, so that might be in July. We leave two weeks from yesterday!

      Delete
  4. I'm jealous! We hiked there the first time we visited Boulder but haven't since. A few weeks ago when we were there it was so busy that we couldn't even find a parking spot. It was a Tuesday, which was weird!

    I'm glad you had a good time & I can just imagine how tired Remy is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took us a little time to find parking, and we were close to the Chautauqua General Store - if that means anything to you! The place was definitely packed!

      I'm glad the first hike of the season is in the bag, and I hope to head to the northern parks (too hot in the southern, with the sand dunes) in July! Remy was tired for the rest of the day, poor guy. I think getting his haircut will help with heat exhaustion!

      Delete