Thursday, June 5, 2014

Liftoff

My room is packed, my evaluation completed, and the keys returned to the office.  Because of this, I don't have to go in tomorrow. WOO HOO! Summer is officially here! Even though right now feels like a typical Thursday, I am relishing the thought of sleeping in tomorrow morning.  Remy has no idea how awesome his life will become.

Thus, enjoy my last day of school eats: starting with celebratory pancakes and coffee.

Asian Chopped Salad with Mandarin Oranges for my last school lunch:

Soy Mocha Frappuccino

And a backup plan for dinner:
"Backup plan" for dinner because I went to Bombay Bowl, and I noticed that the Sweet Coconut Curry sauce, while off-menu, was not in its usual spot on the line (this place is similar to Chipotle, where your dish is created in front of you).  I asked about it, and the kind sir said the owner decided to permanently stop making it.  He offered me the regular curry sauce, which is also vegan, but my little heart was broken.  So, I came home and had the last Everything bagel.

Before you feel jealous, let me disclose that our (90 year old) building is under construction - removing asbestos from the auditorium, installing a new sprinkler/ventilation system, current building temperature: 88 degrees (high of 91 on Tuesday inside my room) which subsequently lead to several students having nosebleeds.  If those were the working conditions for any other profession, OSHA would be involved.  Sadly, this is an educator's "normal" workplace conditions.  And dammit, "those kids better have good test scores". *sigh* It's a good thing we have summer break.  

13 comments:

  1. Hooray for summer break!! You made it my friend and I couldn't be more excited for you! And Remy ;) The work conditions sound absolutely horrendous but hopefully the construction will help to improve the conditions for you next year. At least you don't have to worry about it for a few months!

    Celebratory meals indeed! It looks like an absolutely amazing food day! I've been craving a frappuccino like crazy, I may have to go get one before work tomorrow as a little treat ;) The pancakes looks so incredible, as does the salad. Such a bummer about the sauce but I'd say a bagel will always be a great substitution. At least you still have Native Foods and your "Chip Chop" salad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO HAPPY to be finished with the year. Occasionally, I forget and have continued to do things that I normally do (i.e. grocery shopping, laundry) - then I remember that I don't "have" to get it done on the weekend! It'll take a couple of weeks for me to completely adjust.

      And there was a Native Foods salad this weekend! Ha ha! You know me so well!

      Delete
  2. Jesus, the conditions at my job are pretty shitty too, and OSHA ought to get involved sometimes but we do NOT get nosebleeds. I just get rashes. And there are fans. Hopefully all the changes mean you won't have to deal with that next year! In any case, congratulations are in order. You survived.
    I hope Remy really DOES let you sleep in tomorrow, rather than jumping all over you to get that walk started.
    Not a bad backup dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, heat rash - that usually happens to me in the late summer months of August and September at work. Thankfully this weekend has been cool and rainy, and I haven' needed to turn on the AC here at home!

      Remy does try make me up, but over the years, he will wait patiently on the bed until I'm ready to get up. He's a good boy like that! ;)

      Delete
  3. last day of school!! woo! time to celebrate:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Too bad I've been in recovery mode, mostly resting as opposed to celebrating. ;)

      Delete
  4. Lucky!!!!

    I never heard of heat causing nosebleeds. Usually it's dry air. Isn't it humid out there?

    Very beautiful 'last day' eats. Looking forward to seeing how you make use of your time off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are an arid state, and only have a touch of humidity a few times throughout the year. Thus, our heat is "searing" as opposed to the "suffocating" humid heat that you might experience.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on making it through to the end of term! And on having pancakes to celebrate! Long may the good weather continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joey! Thank you! I am absolutely loving being on summer break!

      Delete
  6. Yikes, I'm glad you're on break considering the conditions in the school! Hopefully you can go back in a few months to things being much better. Sleeping in is so terrific. I could definitely get used to it along with being with the pups all day.

    Sad about the curry sauce. I've had that happen with a few favorite things and it's just not right. Like the Indo Noodle Salad being taken off of Native Foods wasn't upsetting enough!

    Great looking pancakes. Right before I came to your blog I told Mike I was craving them and then, there they were! They look fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you then ate pancakes?!

      Ugh, the Indo Noodle Salad was another sad move off the menu. I have half a mind to write an email to the owner of Bombay Bowl to ask about the recipe...

      I am cautiously hopeful that the conditions for both faculty and students will be improved. It's always interesting to me that the office staff always have air conditioning.

      Delete