Sunday, June 29, 2014

Handling Change

It was both a busy and tough weekend, so I don't have many images for you.  On the positive side, my parents and I helped move my brother into his first post-college (read: living alone) apartment.  He didn't have too much to move, and will need to fully furnish it once we return from England.
(Staying hydrated during the move.)

Also positive: on Saturday night, a friend asked me to try out Pho 95 - on the rougher side of town, so we'll not go there too often! They are the only other Vietnamese restaurant I know who offer a veggie broth.  Here is their Pho Chay (the broth was spicy and delicious!)
I think I like our usual haunt better for the tofu to noodle ratio.  This probably had a head of broccoli in it, and five large tofu chunks, and very little noodle.

Both weekend days I enjoyed homemade waffles, but this morning I added a pb smear:

The tough part of the weekend came this afternoon: I went into the spin and yoga studio to clean (next weekend is exactly one year since my first class).  I was texting with the owner about supplies, when she asked if I had a second to chat. So, she called me.  If you recall, back in May some issues arose causing all but one location to close.  Now, this location and the existence of the studio as a whole (it would celebrate five years of operation in two weeks) will be decided by the end of this week.  As in, a great likelihood that the studio could cease to exist by the end of July and she would be forced out as the owner, turning it over to the investors who would not try to keep it open. 

I'm still not great at "feeling" my emotions, so it took a couple of hours - but I cried, am crying.  I'm really broken-hearted over this as I've built friendships with the teachers and clients.  Sure, free classes for working is fantastic, but the community of people filled a hole in my heart that I didn't know was there.  On average, I was inside one of her studios five days a week over the last year.  That is a lot of time to spend somewhere outside of your home and work.  It's just as well that the trip is this week.  The thought of starting over my yoga practice at a new studio is pretty overwhelming, and I have no idea about spinning classes.  In the meantime, I'm grieving the death of my favorite place to spend time. It really sucks.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about you're studio. I will send good vibes to you and you're studio. Keep us posted please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vegan Power. It's really tough.

      Delete
  2. Yes, sorry to hear you'll be losing the studio! But surely all the displaced people will still be around, and likely end up somewhere else, maybe even together? I know it won't be the same but a change doesn't necessarily have to mean the end of something. The trip probably will keep you busy enough to keep yr mind off it, you're right.
    In any case, congratulations to yr brother on the new place. And I think that soup looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The legal decision was reached today, and she has been forced out - and with it, her admin team. Self included. I have a handful of classes available I could use should I want to, but just being there today it felt like there had been a death in the family. So, so sad. I'm thankful for the trip.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your studio. I know you had a deep emotional connection to the people and the place and change is always difficult... Like Maud said, hopefully you and your friends can find a new place where you will all meet up again. Starting over is difficult but I know you will be able to overcome it and you'll find a new place and create a new connection.

    On the happier side, congrats to your bro! He must be so excited. All of the meals look great, I need to find a Pho place with veggie broth. You always make the most beautiful waffles. Imagine the waffle with speculoos butter instead of peanut butter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've reminded me of something: this is just change. Heck, I said it in the title. It's hard, and I don't like it but I've spent the greater part of today talking it out, and I've reached out to every person that I would want to keep in contact with now that it's completely over. (She was forced out, and I had to go in to leave my key with the business partner, who wasn't nice). The majority of my favorite teachers are leaving, and I will try to follow them to other studios (to hopefully have another work/trade opportunity for my wallet, spin classes are expensive).

      Delete
  4. But maybe it won't close? That's still a possibility? Sounds like a very good time to fly away from home and get a little distance from all the upheaval.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad that this trip will have an element of escapism in it, and not just fun - but that was out of my control. Unfortunately, the litigation ended with the owner being forced out, and my time as a work/trade employee is over. I have a few free classes left on my pass, but walking into the studio today felt heavy and uncomfortable. Not to mention, there hasn't been much talk about longevity in the hands of the business partner...

      Delete
    2. At least you learned a lot about what you need and want for yourself.

      Delete