Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Entertain This

Disclosure: all pictures minus one (in Trader Joe's) were taken with the new camera!

I found a packet of Vega Natural Flavor, added unsweetened almond milk, frozen strawberries, and a frozen banana.
 A couple of hours working on administrative projects (scheduling classes) with the owner of the studio, followed by a 45 minute Ride HIIT class, and I was ready to eat my arm.  Luckily, I made fajitas instead.
Portobello mushrooms, green and red bell peppers, onion, sauteed in fajita spices.  Avocado, Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream, salsa, corn tortillas.

After lunch, I cleaned up a bit as my neighbor and Frankie were coming over tonight for snacks, drinks, and details for housesitting/flower watering while I'm away.  I already had carrots and crackers, but needed dip and dessert.  Thus, I went to Trader Joe's.  SHEN, LOOK WHAT I FOUND:
So while I found out the edamame hummus I wanted was recalled (listeria outbreak?!), and I didn't like the sorbet flavors - I went ahead and spent money. 
 Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches (new to me!), snap peas, popcorn, cookies, watermelon, Meatless Meatballs.

I went to Sprouts to see about their hummus and sorbet offerings:
Forgive me for not snapping a picture of the final plating, but I ran out of time! Carrots, snap peas, crackers, hummus for the savory side - and sorbet with cookies for dessert.  Vodka Lemonade served in mason jars.

So, what do you think? How are the photos? I'm going to do a double post on Thursday, allowing for more comparison.

10 comments:

  1. Yay for playing with your new camera! The photos look great! That smoothie looks absolutely perfect, a very refreshing breakfast! I'm glad that you opted for the fajitas instead of your arm ;) Yummy looking haul!! I've been wanting to try the speculoos cookie butter and/or speculoos cookies. I would love to know how you like them! Blackberry sorbet sounds amazing!! I don't think I've ever seen blackberry sorbet, I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm at the grocery store. Vodka lemonade too, what a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input on the raw photo files! Maybe down the line I can get a photo editing software (or a Mac!). Right now, it's all about trial and error!

      The cookies are similar to a ginger snap, which I like! I've not tried the butter, but I know it has quite the following! I was surprised at the lack of sorbet offerings at both places. It's all about gelato, apparently. Julia's Organic had Mango flavor, and a Strawberry Chardonnay. Wine in sorbet?! Ha! Thus, Blackberry was my choice and it was good!

      Delete
  2. I think the photos turned out wonderful. I've done comparisons quite a bit with my Canon & iPhone and while the iPhone takes nice pictures, the quality just can't compare. You found some great stuff on your haul, even though they didn't have what you went there for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! I think I've noticed the same about the Canon and iPhone. The images are better on the camera, but for a phone - pretty darn good!

      I was definitely sad about the edamame hummus, as it was so good! And I knew my neighbor liked it, so I wanted to have something I knew she'd like (she didn't have much of the hummus I purchased, so we'll cross that off my list!).

      Delete
  3. Can it really be????? I'd given up all hope and just decided that it would be Gardein Meatless Meatballs forever. Look at you with your vegan scoop! Great job!

    I didn't even know those Speculoos Cookies were vegan, I never read the box.

    You are really doing a lot of entertaining this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they are here - I bet they'll be there! I haven't been to TJ's in a while (probably two months or so), but I was shocked that they were in stock. Naturally, I forgot that I'm out of both spaghetti noodles and sauce so I'll try them when I'm back in town. If I like them - a few more bags might find their way into the freezer.

      The cookies are like ginger snaps, which I like! And yes, vegan labeled!

      The upside of entertaining: a clean house. I've been needing the motivation! Ha!

      Delete
    2. I'm going to try my darndest to get to TJs tomorrow to see what's what.

      Delete
  4. I think I can tell the difference in photos, though really my eye isn't very discriminating. The smoothie looks picture perfect.
    Nice fajita plate too! When I'm hungry I put in about half the effort of that meal, haha.
    Kudos on the TJ haul too. I can only go there every two months or so because I just spend so much money on crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a subtle difference in the images, to be sure! The first two photos I took manually, but the last two were automatic. I think playing with the settings will yield the best results!

      When I made fajitas yesterday - there was no presentation like that! Ha ha! That was really for the blog. ;)

      Um, yes - after I purchased all of that, realizing how much of it was not "healthy" - I realized that impulsing buying didn't do well for my wallet or heart! Ha!

      Delete
  5. Photos are looking good - looks like a nice choice of camera. Is it easy to operate? I have a million settings on my camera but I only ever set it on automatic! I do like a Trader Joes haul post - anything with speculoos flavour makes me drool!

    ReplyDelete