Sunday, May 11, 2014

Stretch & Grow

Last week, one of the locations where I practice yoga, and participate in Spin class, had to close its doors.  There were issues with the `landlord, neighbors, and more.  It isn't the location I work/trade, but it is the one where I take the most classes.  The owner is in the process of adding classes to the other locations, but still it is a little sad.  That said, I don't know what my workout schedule will look like for a week or more.  Monday - Wednesday should be predictable, but with the disappearance of my very favorite YogaCycle class on Saturdays - the space is wide open, and unknown!  Working with the theme of "stretching & growing", I spent four hours in my garden on Saturday, prepping the ground for flowers (to be planted in the coming weeks), weeding, and putting out a new layer of mulch.  It's pretty gratifying work (and tiring! I can't believe I went to yoga afterwards.  I'm super stiff today.) Now if only my paycheck could "stretch & grow"! Ha! Here are some images from the weekend:


 (Above: potted flowers gifted for Mother's Day. Mom loved them.  Below: Remy, exhausted from watching me dig up dandelions.  Also, he appears to have only three legs in this picture.)
 Exhibit B: this is what happened today. Thus, waiting to plant flowers.
Experimenting with barley.  Making Mushroom & Spinach Risotto for lunch this week.
Based on this recipe, but halving it and not adding sundried tomatoes. It smells fantastic, but it is taking a really long time to cook.

See you on Tuesday with a full day of eats and activity! I hope your weekend was wonderful!

12 comments:

  1. Your weather is so bizarre!! It was 80 here yesterday.
    That salted caramel almond milk coffee sounds inCREDible. I'd love to try that.So far all I've got is the cold brew. Did you like it?
    Beautiful flowers. my mom gave me some lilacs from her garden that smell great but make me sneeze...
    Hope you find an acceptable Spin substitute soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was 87 degrees last Sunday! WTF?! This entire week we'll be below average, until next weekend when it'll spike to the high 70s. Thus, I'm tempted to wait until the weekend after Memorial Day to plant flowers...

      Yes, it was a great little treat - and it was my back up, as the coffee/chai blend from Bhakti was out!

      Oh, allergies...I feel your pain!

      They are still working on the schedule, but the "worst case" scenario is just more yoga. ;)

      Delete
  2. That is so sad about the yoga studio! It's really hard to adjust when you had your routine and you knew exactly where you had to be an when. I felt that way when my trainer left and I'm sad that I never got back into a routine, but I know that you'll be able to adjust with no problem!

    Really with the snow?!?! That's just ridiculous. I can't wait to see your garden though when the time does come :) Gorgeous flowers for your mom! The salted caramel coffee sounds amazing! I've only tried the regular... that brand makes really great drinks and I bet salted caramel is delicious. Hope your barley experiment works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is just so sad. I'm still taking classes at the studio I clean, it's just slightly further away. They are still adding classes to the schedule, so I hope they work in some of my favorite ones. A few teachers have been cut out completely, and some clients are less than pleased. Part of being a business owner, I suppose!

      I'm hoping the snow waters my soil through and through! It's already melting really quickly. I will share the fruits (er...blooms) of my hard work once the garden is in place!

      The barley risotto is good, just a bit rich. Best in smaller quantities!!

      Delete
  3. I saw that you were getting snow. So crazy! It's supposed to get into the 30's at night here again, but not cold enough for snow, thankfully.

    The flowers you gave your mom are so pretty. I can see why she loved them. Remy is adorable, as always (and funny about how his legs look in that shot!).

    Also, where on earth did you find that delicious iced coffee? YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was blizzard conditions most of Sunday, and part of today. Absolutely ridiculous! We had about 25% of our students absent, which is lower than I expected. Hopefully now that the system has moved out of Colorado, it doesn't head north to you!

      I was thinking of going back, and buying myself a potted plant as well. Ha!

      Remy was so funny, he didn't even fight me on the picture. I don't know why he sits like that!

      Whole Foods; I wanted the Bhakti Chai & Coffee blend, but they were out. A happy back up beverage!

      Delete
  4. Your family is big on giving flowers as gifts, in case you didn't know.

    Nice looking turf and Pup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's weird about you saying that: my father sent grandma in VA flowers yesterday...
      My mother is beyond frugal, and is a "saver". I'll buy her something, and she won't use it/wear it until her other items are in tatters/not functional. This way, she actually uses what I gift her. ;)

      You should have seen the dandelion infestation...

      Delete
  5. Salted caramel!? Ok, I've been warned that these iced coffees may not be sweet enough for me, but that sounds good and sweet. You had me at those flowers, but then the pooch won out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abby! Remy certain dominates in the cuteness department. ;) I bet the salted caramel would be sweet enough for you!

      Delete
  6. There are far too many times when I would have picked up an iced coffee if there'd been vegan readymade versions out there, so I'm kind of glad they haven't pitched up over here yet. Now three legged dogs? That's one thing we need to import at once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, seeing that I'm London bound in July! I'll make sure to have my coffee at the hotel. ;) Remy sits like that all time - so funny!

      Delete