Thursday, April 3, 2014

Un-Spring

All morning, this was happening:
 The metro area had 4-8 inches fall, power lines down, and nearly two feet in the mountains. Thus, any plans for a hike are squashed for tomorrow (I did know this was a possibility, so it's not a total surprise).  By the afternoon, it had warmed up and the sun was shining - but there is still plenty of snow on grassy areas. 

Tofu Scramble (with TJ's Vegan Cream Cheese, Spinach, and spices), wheat toast.

Lunch: leftovers from Experiment #3


After spending my ENTIRE AFTERNOON waiting on car emissions testing and sitting at the DMV for renewal tags, I had a snack:
 (I should note that the emissions took most of the time, the DMV blessed me with a short wait!)

Dinner: Experiment #4.  I have been thinking about a warm salad for a while.  I chopped up lacinato kale, and combined it with brussel sprouts, steaming them (whilst also cooking asparagus in shallow water).  I made this creamy poppyseed dressing, and tossed the kale and sprouts in it while still warm.  Topped with sliced almonds and dried cranberries. (Successful experiment!)
I might have one or two more kitchen experiments left in me, but I'm not sure. You'll see them, if it happens! My to-do list is mostly complete, only two really big tasks left (one of which is doing my taxes).  I am so sad this week is nearly over! *whimpers*

9 comments:

  1. What's with the snow in April?! The picture is gorgeous but so are hiking pictures and those are much warmer and happier, ha! Sorry it foiled your hiking plans :(

    Your scramble looks perfect as always. I still haven't tried the CC to add the creaminess but I'll definitely have to soon! Lunch looks lovely and what a perfect sweet snack. The sweetest part of that deal is a short trip to the DMV! I think that one of Dante's circles of hell should have been waiting in line at the DMV. So terrible. Glad it went well for you though!

    What a great experiment! That warm salad looks lovely! I've been seeing a lot of recipes that combine brussels sprouts with dried cranberries. I hope to see more experiments from you this weekend, they all look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally crazy, right?! I have the whole summer to hike, so I suppose it's okay. ;)

      Oh my gosh, I was so fortunate at the DMV. Someone who didn't need their ticket (they pulled two numbers), gave it to me and I didn't have to wait longer than 8 minutes! Amazing! It would have been closer to 75 minutes otherwise. I'm totally going to pay it forward!

      I am going to remake that salad tomorrow! So good! No more experiments as of yet, but hopefully I get to one soon. :)

      Delete
  2. Well you can't say you didn't accomplish anything during your time off. Maybe you should buy tickets to the Bahamas for Spring Break 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the teachers was saying today that we should do a staff trip next year, but perhaps in the summer. The destination of choice: Australia. Will it actually happen?? Hard to say, but I'll start saving after my trip this summer.

      Delete
    2. Go!!! With or without the other teachers!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic warm salad! There is a really pretty cookbook called Brassica coming out - yr salad would fit so nicely on one of the pages. I'll have to check out the dressing.
    It does sound like you are making the most of yr staycation. I wish I were as diligent as you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, who knew - I should be in a cookbook! ;) Thanks for the compliment, Maud!

      If it makes you feel better, I didn't do my taxes. Ack! I have one week!

      Delete
  4. Salad does look good - the brussel sprout should be celebrated more often, as should poppy seeds! At least the snow fall was pretty - not sure if that compensates for the lack of hike though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I'll get a hike in soon. :)

      Delete