Sunday, March 2, 2014

They're Back

This weekend has been ridiculous. Lots of changes in plans, cancellations, and lack of sleep.  Happily, I did get to spend a lot of time with family - my grandparents were in town - and I've been able to use this evening's cancellation (dinner with a friend) wisely.

Welcome back to my love affair with Oatmeal Squares:

It has been a while since I enjoyed one of these...

My aunt and uncle hosted dinner on Saturday - first course:
 Mixed greens, tangerine slices, walnuts, avocado chunks, and balsamic vinaigrette. Very interesting combination.  Main course was homemade red sauce and pasta (my aunt kindly texted me ahead of time to let me know she was baking my portion separately from the meat red sauce!), roasted brussel sprouts with onion jam, and crusty bread. Fancy, and no technology at the dinner table - use your imagination. ;)

Since today was a crap shoot, I was able to use the time to cook for the week.  I picked up a package of Yakisoba noodles:
 Added Tofurky Keilbasa and asparagus
 Also, my second attempt at Beefless Tips / Mushroom Bourguignon 
I still followed this recipe for the most part, but eliminated the yellow onion.  Instead, I added 1/3 of a shallot, peas, and a lot more seasoning (heavy handed on the Italian seasoning and black pepper).  It turned out so amazingly delicious! You'll see the final result soon.

Also back: the exact same workout schedule.

Anticipated to be back: a normal week and a calm weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry about the cancellation. I was hoping to read your review of PF Changs.

    Your Aunt & Uncle really made a fancy schmancy dinner. Did you have to sit in one of the card chairs again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? The ball is in her court to pick another day. *sigh*

      Ha ha! No folding chairs, as there was only eight of us this time. Their apartment is bigger than my house, and about a zillion times fancier.

      Delete
    2. Just get yourself carryout from PF Changs and don't wait for her return volley.

      Delete
  2. Too bad things didn't work out as planned but at least you got some time to yrself. I had a busy Saturday and Sunday and am so happy to have today aloneeeee!
    Very nice looking dinner party! Onion jam has always been something that intrigued me but I've never had it.
    I can always go for one of those Justin's packages.... probably too often. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I do need time to myself and to get things accomplished. Or nap. Ha! I hope you enjoyed your solo time!

      I find the cups super rich, so I don't indulge too often - but they are great once in awhile! The onion jam was a nice savory/sweet contrast to the salty/briny roasted brussels. I probably wouldn't pick up a jar just for myself, but they were tasty.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the cancellation but it certainly seems like you kept busy otherwise! How nice that you got to spend time with your family and what a beautiful meal your aunt made for you. It sounds so fancy and yummy. Love the cereal and the Justin's cups. Looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it all worked out for the best! I was able to get a lot done, I was just bummed because this friend continually cancels on me and I rearranged my entire Sunday just to see her. :(

      My aunt and uncle that live here like the fancy shmancy, while the rest of us tend to keep it casual. But I do admit, their apartment is show home worthy!

      Delete
  4. Those oatmeal squares are SO good!!! My cereal criteria is that it must be snackable dry (so grape nuts don't work for me) and those are simply perfect.......
    Fancy dinners are fun sometimes- how sweet your aunt was so thoughtful of you.
    And some people just can't manage their own future yet don't realize it impacts your life as well- its not about you at all, but yeah, that is annoying.
    Glad the beefless stew came out so well- hopefully stew weather will be behind us before long......(pleasepleasepleasewintergoawaynow)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! Oatmeal Squares are in my top five favorite cereals!

      Yes, considering that my aunt forgot about me at Christmas, this was a nice respite. ;)

      It's all about the seasoning!! I know, I'm so ready for winter to end!

      Delete