Thursday, March 27, 2014

Canine Love

Backstory: Terra, my parents' dog, must have injured herself on Sunday when they were not home.  She was limping, holding her paw close to her chest, refusing to lay down, panting, and whimpering.  Terra's improvement was minimal, but my parents went out of town on Tuesday anyway (don't get me started), and my brother couldn't take her due to work commitments (he has stayed at their house, and has been freaking out each night, calling me for advice).  Thus, I ended up leaving work early today to take her to the vet.  Their diagnosis: soft tissue injury, most likely from falling down stairs at the house, also a little arthritis (she's almost 14!).  She's on anti-inflammatory meds for the next 10 days with little activity allowed.  However, she loves to be outside (and considering she's not to go on long walks, this was the least I could offer). I followed her into the back yard after she had a dose of medicine, and she mostly stood around - only putting a little weight on her right leg.


 Remy was there for moral support.
 "Do you smell that?" he asks.
 It's hard for Terra to lay down or get up, but here she is - almost looking relaxed - still favoring that right leg...
Send positive and healing thoughts to this beloved family member, may she feel well again soon!  

See you this weekend.

10 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Poor sweet Terra, I hate seeing animals in pain. I'm definitely sending loving, healing thoughts her way. How lucky for her to have you and Remy taking such great care of her while your parents are out of town. I know she is in such loving care with you and Remy and I am sure that she will feel better soon. I'll be thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents came back last night, so I have passed the baton. Apparently she seems to be the same, so if there is no marked improvement in the next week, she might go back for an xray! Thank you for the love!

      Delete
  2. Aw, hugs and scruffles (yea, that's right) to Terra. You're taking great care of her and I hope Remy is cheering her up. Luckily Haxan has never gotten hurt, I can't imagine what I'd do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maud! She has definitely received some hugs this week. I think Remy was trying his best, too. ;)

      Delete
  3. I wonder what happened? It was so good of you and Remy to come to her aid. She's an amazing looking dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents live in a split level house, and the stairs from the main level to the lower are polished wood stairs. Remy has fallen on them a few times, as he runs excitedly - thus it wouldn't surprise me if she fell down those. They are using a baby gate to keep her to one floor right.

      Delete
    2. Ouch! We put a carpet runner on our wood stairs. It's for our safety as well as the pups.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I do hope she heals quickly, and it looks like Remy does too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Blessed Mama! I hope so, too!

      Delete
  5. How's she doing now? Fingers crossed she's on the mend already by the time you read this!

    ReplyDelete