Tuesday, February 18, 2014

So Many Options

I could call this post: "Bonus Day" because our school gave us today off in exchange for staying late last week (parent-teacher conferences).  Or "Best Intentions" as I struggled to not eat out at every meal (I had to talk myself out of it!); once you've started, it's hard to cleanse your palate!  Another option for a title: "Trader Joe's Attempt" because. . .
I went:
 I saw.
 The line was too long.
 It went from one side of the store (produce) to the other (liquor), and back towards the registers.  There were so many people (at 2pm on a Tuesday!).  I tried to look around, but it was all too overwhelming.  I'll go back in about a month. Ha!

Before all of that was a noon class: Vinyasa Flow.  And prior to that was my attempt at health for breakfast:
 I used half of the package, one frozen banana, frozen strawberries, and unsweetened almond milk.

Late morning, I peeled two carrots and chomped down.

After TJ's, I made lunch:
And then I ate the rest of the cucumber.

Laundry, napping, generally avoiding work of any kind.

Instead of a pound of mushrooms, I did a half pound of baby bellas and a half pound of Gardein Beefless Tips.  She served it over pasta and farro, and I used rice pilaf.  It's about as laborious as Skinny Bitch Beefless Stew, but not quite as tasty (more spices needed).  Also, I love onions, but next time I'll swap out one kind for another vegetable (it calls for one cup of pearl onions, and one whole yellow onion).  Otherwise, it was nice to finally make it after thinking about it for a few weeks.

Back to reality tomorrow! Hopefully the rest of the week goes well, and I wish the same for you!

10 comments:

  1. Oh we went to the Denver TJ's Friday night, arrived around 6:30 or so. It was just like old times when we'd go to any of the stores in NYC. The line looks horrendous but they actually do an amazing job at keeping it moving and getting people out the door. While being friendly! We got in line in the produce section and were up at the register within about 10 minutes. We do have a method though that works best with two people - one stands in line and the other goes around and picks up the food then brings it back to the cart. We did go in the liquor store after getting our food and decided not to wait there. The line was also long and they only had 4 checkouts, that appeared to be moving slowly since people were seriously stocking up on the low-priced wine & beer! So glad TJ's is in Denver now!

    I haven't tried any Vega products but I've seen a lot of good reviews/mentions. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, you certainly were brave to venture out on opening day! You definitely have the tag team advantage, which sounds helpful! Sadly, the line didn't move much during my 10 minute visit. Perhaps there were more cashiers the night you visit?

      Delete
  2. That's great that you got another day off! It seems like you had a nice day other than braving the insanity of Trader Joe's! I have zero patience for crowds, especially when I want to peruse and see what kinds of fun things they have. I think it is a good choice to hold off until the excitement dies down a little bit.

    Great looking meals! How did you like the Vega? It's the only vegan protein powder that I like. Your smoothie is such a pretty color. Your bagel looks so good and I like your adjustments to the dinner recipe. Looks delicious, too bad it was a little bland.

    Hope you have a good short week! Are you getting the snow that they were predicting? If so, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 100% the same way! I really want an hour to get to know what they carry, and generally nose around before deciding what to try. Having never shopped there (prior to two visits six years ago while in Boston!), I don't even know where to start.

      I still can't swing the price of a full bottle, but the individual packets are great on occasion. I liked the bourguignon, especially since I've not ever made French food! With a few more tweaks, it'll be great!

      We're supposed to be in the upper 40s all week, and other than a few flakes (and oddly, rain) this evening, in has been super nice!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you just walked out of Trader Joe's without buying anything. I didn't know that was physically possible. I've experienced lots of shopping rage at TJ's, a lot of entitled and oblivious people shop there, but I refuse to let them win.

    The Mushroom Bourguignon is so beautiful (thanks for the link to the other site).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Just remember that I don't know what I'm missing! As far as I know, it's just a grocery store. ;)

      Honestly, make the Beefless Stew without potatoes and slightly thicker - and it's nearly the same thing! The linked recipe says you can also serve it over mashed potatoes, which I might do as well.

      Delete
    2. TJ's will get you hooked on something soon enough. Be it Cereal, PB, Almond Butter, Tater Tots!, Soy Ice Cream or just good old Organic Veggies.

      Delete
  4. I've been to Trader Joes once or twice when I was over in the US, and I can see why it's so popular. The mushroom bourguignon looks great - did you have enough for leftovers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've been the same amount of times, then! Ha ha! Yes, plenty of leftovers to enjoy for days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TJs shopping needs strategizing. I'd say go when they first open since its a new store. Then on subsequent visits just shop the middle of the store, and shop the outer rim while on line! That's what i do at tj's since union square is always crazy busy. The line seems to move quickly and i multitask on my iphone....
    That mushroom dish does have a weird ton of onions! Maybe just keep the pearl onions and swap in some carrots and greens..?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete