Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fighting it Off

First, a little background: you might recall me mentioning on-going sinus headaches - I finally did something about it last week when I went to the doctor.  They put me on antibiotics in the event that it was a sinus infection, and a nasal spray.  Which has me also taking acidophilus - so I'm a walking pharmacy.  Nonetheless, I awoke this morning with a pounding sinus headache, so strong it made me nauseous.  In my typical fashion, I thought I could tough it out.  I ate some oat bran. . .very slowly.
 By the time I hit my second class, I had already decided to leave by lunch.  It seems like the whole continent has the flu (and I have never had a flu shot. . .yes, never.  I hope this isn't the year I regret that long standing decision).  Thus, I came home and went straight to bed.  A little later, I thought I'd stomach some pasta:
 The pressure from the sinus headache has persisted and waned off and on. I spent most the afternoon in bed (cuddled by Nurse Remy), and debated about going to yoga the entire time. In the end, I went and in the very least, it was a pleasant distraction.

Nausea subsided, so a full dinner was had: mixed green salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, and Annie's Balsamic.
 And yam fries with ketchup.
Whatever it is that wants to live in my system - be warned! I will fight you off! I will sleep more, eat more vegetables, take vitamin B12, drink a gallon of oj (wish I had some right now! Ha!). . .Victory will be mine! 

8 comments:

  1. Yikes, it sounds like a migraine. :( That's great that you took the time off to care for yourself. Sometimes toughing it out does a lot more harm. You certainly ate well!

    I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look into migraines - it seems to always be centered around the sinus cavities, so I assumed it was allergy/infection related. No fun! I'm trying to get all the nutrition I can these days! Thanks Molly!

      Delete
  2. Ugh that sounds absolutely terrible, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. Antibiotics are the worst, they really suck the life out of you but at least you are smart and countering them with probiotics. Honestly, I think you've made an amazing decision to never have the flu shot. Someone I know has theorized that all of my health problems began after I had to get my flu shot (right before my niece was born, I was told I wouldn't be allowed to see her unless I got it). It doesn't seem all that far fetched.... it kind of matches up time wise. They are gross I'll never get one again.

    I'm glad you decided to take care of yourself and come home. It seems like you are on the right track. Keep on fighting, hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily I finish the antibiotics tomorrow. . . the last time I had them was when I had bronchitis three years ago! I used the Flonase three times - I just don't love that it is a steriod derivative. Hmm. . .interesting about the flu shot. I'm not sure why I didn't get one in my youth, but with all the info out there about vaccines and such - I figured that I'd chance it, and do my best to take care of myself. Thank you, I'm on my way to feeling better - each day is an improvement!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Sarah on not getting a flu shot. No good can come of it. Drink lots of hot tea (with rum if you've got it) to chase away the nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I hear, the more convinced I am to not get one - it's a good thing I don't work in a doctor's office or hospital, I'd be forced to! I have definitely been pumping in the tea, but not the rum (as of yet! Ha!).

      Delete
  4. Uughh- i hate the "i 'm full of drugs" feeling! Wait on the probiotics until you finish the antibiotics (otherwise they just get killed off). I also up the miso and tempeh intake since they have lots of natural probiotics.
    I swear the people i know who get flu shots are the ones who get sick! I've never had a flu shot, don't own purell, and take public transportation in nyc- about once a year a catch a cold.
    I hope the drugs at least cured the sinus issues for you!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took your advice regarding the probiotics! I'm finished with the antibiotics, but still taking the acidophilus (it's combined with carrot juice anyway - in pill form - so there are other benefits!).

      Delete