Tuesday, November 12, 2013

In the Kitchen: Sauce, Stew & Bread

Today's sauces are from the Everyday Happy Herbivore Cookbook, and the stew is from Skinny Bitch
First up: Miso Gravy (I doubled the recipe)
 Clockwise from the top: soy sauce and hot sauce, water, cornstarch, miso paste, nooch, black pepper in the middle.  Below: the final product (yield: 1 cup, 4 servings at 48 calories each!)
Pumpkin Curry
 Canned pumpkin, veggie broth, cumin, curry powder, cayenne (because I don't have paprika), and ginger.
 
Cornbread:
I love this mix, and sub in Ener-G for the egg and Maple Syrup for honey when preparing it.
Red Wine "Beef Stew" (I used Gardein Beefless Tips)
 Added to the tips: potato, onion, carrot, garlic, mushroom, peas (not shown: veggie broth).
 On the stove:

Tune in on Thursday to see the sauces, stew, and cornbread in action! 

9 comments:

  1. I could totally go for some cornbread! It looks like it would go great with that awesome stew. You ate really well today! I love Happy Herbivore recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornbread is so good, I had been waiting for this brand to go on sale - and once it did, I made my menu! Ironically, I didn't eat any of it on Tuesday - but I have every day since. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow. You were really busy in the kitchen. So jealous you have a Beefless Beef Stew made. I need to make one. Hopefully, this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out a little thinner than I'd like. Last time it was too thick. Why can't I find my goldilocks with this recipe?

      Delete
  3. Wow, lots of really great stuff coming out of your kitchen!! Looks like you definitely have a lot of great options for a while :) That cornbread is calling my name. I'm such a sucker for cornbread but I never eat it! I should change that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you'll be seeing these items with some frequency, ha ha! Cornbread is pretty awesome.

      Delete
  4. I love days where more than one meal can come out of the day's work. The miso gravy sounds great! I do believe I have all those ingredients right now.
    The pumpkin curry sounds delicious. Is it just pumpkin curry flavored soup? Or is it a sauce meant to be poured over other things? Hmm I guess I'll have to wait and see.
    Looking at the wine for yr stew reminds me, the split pea-rutabaga soup I made the other day called for sherry, or white wine if I couldn't find sherry. We do have a liquor store right on the corner but I was too embarassed to go in at 11 am on a monday! Luckily I found 1 bottle of dusty sherry in the grocery store... other than situations like that, I love cooking with booze; it's so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The miso gravy is SO GOOD. Go make it. Right now.

      It's a curry sauce! Her recipe says to use it over steamed cauliflower, which I've done, but it's also great over roasted. I like to add peas, just to make it more traditional. ;)

      I bought this bottle (and a second!) around noon. I didn't even blink. Does that make me too comfortable buying wine midday?! Ha ha!

      Delete
  5. That stew just looks like it would be such a great cold weather dish. And you get the rest of a bottle of wine to drink with it - what's not to love?!

    ReplyDelete