Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday Activities

I realized last weekend that the Saturday Farmer's Market was still going - until the end of October.  I decided to support these 40-degree-weathering Coloradoans with a few of my dollars.

Some people were still selling tomatoes. Crazy! I picked up these bell peppers (for stuffed peppers) and my first spaghetti squash of the season (to which I will add cashew cream!).

Speaking of cashews, while at Whole Foods today I saw these:
 Thus in addition to dry, unsalted cashews  - a half scoop:
Just a little kick, not too spicy.

Lastly, I met up with some friends and brought this to the gathering:
Original and Hot & Spicy Falafels, traditional hummus.  I actually only had one, as I was too busy socializing.  Someone else brought homemade bean dip and fresh tortilla chips, of which I had a healthy amount. Ha! 

I hope your weekend is going well! See you on Sunday!

8 comments:

  1. I'll take a hot & spicy falafel, please! I'll also take some of those cashews. :)

    The green peppers look absolutely perfect. I love getting local ones. They're always so much better than the ones in the store. Emma & Rowan love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both were quite tasty, but I'm sure the sodium levels in both are only meant for occasional enjoyment! Ha ha!

      I'm looking forward to making stuffed bell peppers, I seem to only do it once or twice a year but fresh ones are always the best! Remy hasn't taken to them, but he is definitely a cauliflower, broccoli, and pea lover!

      Delete
  2. It's probably for the best that you didn't pick up any tomatoes; G bought a peach the other day and it was rotten inside...he tried to return it (ha!) and the seller said they'd all be like that. Seems kinda bizarre to sell food you know will be bad, but so it is.
    Anyway, I think you made a much better purchase on that squash. I've only made a spaghetti squash once myself but that should change. Preferably also with cashew cream.
    Did you try the spicy falafel or the original? I might go to a potluck later tonight and I always get bummed out when I barely get to try any of the food I bring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe the gall of that vendor! How horrible! I'm sure people sell/represent falsities all the time, but it's still horrible. I hope the squash turns out well, and it's so easy to prepare! Cashew cream will make it all the better. :)

      I tried the spicy, but after about two hours I left to give a friend a ride home and didn't take the extra falafel home.

      Delete
  3. How unusual to sell Falafels in a bag like that. Nobody ever eats what I bring to gatherings. Really pisses me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen them prior to yesterday! I think they were about $3.50 a bag, and had about 15 pieces of falafel inside each bag. I wasn't sure how many people were coming, so I picked up two. I only make something homemade 25% of the time, the rest of the time it tends to be a fruit or veggie platter. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get my hands on falafel bags like that - normally over here they're sold in tiny little packets I can get through in 4 minutes! What a beautiful sky at the top too. Perfect autumn scene!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I saw falafel bags! Very convenient. Thank you, I love autumn!

      Delete