Tuesday, October 29, 2013

It's All in Your Head

Rarely has there been a decent oatmeal photo, and this morning was no exception:
 "Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal" : pumpkin puree, molasses, maple syrup, and cinnamon mixed in with the oats.

Lunch: Peas, carrots, soy crumbles, brown rice mixed with tomato sauce and spices - stuffed into a bell pepper. And an organic gala apple.

After work and before yoga, I polished off the Hatch Chile Cashews.

Dinner: steamed kale with Happy Herbivore's Miso Gravy and potato wedges.

I'm the type of person who can spend too much time in my head, mulling over issues (real and fictitious), over-thinking my life, and creating my own anxiety.  I discovered in tonight's Yin Yoga class,  the struggle would not be remaining in each position for 3-5 minutes, but rather quieting my hyperactive head. It's really hard.  Living in the moment is definitely my weakness.  I'm always in such a hurry to anticipate the next move / release / potential crisis - and the only person applying that pressure on me, is myself.   My goal is to become a little more present each day, and remember to step outside of my head with more frequency.  

I hope your week is a beautifully reflective one, and I'll see you on Thursday.

11 comments:

  1. What a nice post and sign off. I am similarly-minded. I hope you are able to quiet the little nagging voices sometimes!
    The cashews look really good. And the fries! Never thought of having kale with gravy but it sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so, too - it's hard not to make myself crazy! Ha ha! The gravy recipe actually recommended pouring it over kale (I like it steamed!), and it is so, so good.

      Delete
  2. You are so incredibly right. I relate to you very much in overthinking everything and certainly in creating my own anxiety. How wonderful that your yoga class has become not only a place to work out your body but also to all you to reflect and soothe your mind as well. I think I need to set a similar goal as you :) I am my own worst enemy in that sense.

    Beautiful meals as always! I think your oatmeal looks lovely and I love the bowl! The stuffed pepper looks gorgeous (although I'd have to stuff a zucchini or something else instead haha) and your oven fries look like perfection. Definitely an enviable day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga definitely stretches the mind, too! It's going to take more than that to work out my anxiety, but that will be a lifetime task - so one step at a time! Your last line about being our own worst enemy is so true!

      It was a pretty good day!

      P.S. I miss you and your posts! I hope to hear more soon (hint, hint!)

      Delete
    2. Sadly it will be a while longer. My computer was fried in a construction related power outage. I'm going to see if there is anything that can be done to save it... If not all of my photography, some media purchases and ebook PDF purchases are gone forever :( been a shitty few weeks here so I won't be around much to comment until I get a working computer at home...

      Delete
  3. Too true - the noise just doesn't stop. Here's hoping it gets a little quieter from here on in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the noise lessens, to be sure! Thanks, Joey! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a worthwhile yoga class. Great looking dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been that exact dinner most nights this week! So good!

      I had no idea the power of yoga!

      Delete
  5. A really delicious day! Pumpkin oatmeal sounds like something I'd like and I love stuffed peppers.

    I have a hard time quieting my mind, too, but have been working on it a lot. I'm getting better at calming myself and living in the moment, but I know how difficult that can be. Kudos to you for making it a goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pumpkin oatmeal was great! I prefer baked oatmeal with pumpkin, but this was excellent when short on time.

      Please pass on any strategies that have worked for you! I'd love to have more info! :)

      Delete