Sunday, September 22, 2013

Seasons & Things Change

Friday evening, I sliced into the Cinnamon Apple tart:
Really sugary and rich, hard to believe there's no butter in there.

Saturday morning, I awoke feeling a little off and a little tried of my ways: spending more money than I should, not being prepared for the work week, and *gasp* nearly feeling bored of my workouts.  It was clear to me that a change was in order.

Tofu scramble: spinach, tomato, nooch, seasonings.  Grits with Earth Balance.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to really focus on how to make those changes yesterday.  I went through the motions, was overly busy, and it left me feeling grumpy.  This morning I went to a YogaCycle class with an instructor I really enjoy.  She wanted our focus to be on the positive side of change, embracing it and letting it happen naturally - she meant it to be for the season, but it obviously spoke to me on a personal level.

(Still spending money! Ack!) Whole Foods: Asian Cabbage Salad, Tomato Basil Soup, Ciabatta 

And perhaps she's right - things will fall into place.  I completed my first work/trade shift for the exercise studio this afternoon, which will allow me to save money.  I am determined to be prepped for the work week, so I am making time to cook ahead and write lessons tonight.  I am going to a different workout class tomorrow night, and my usual Wednesday night TRX class is full - causing me to try something else.  I don't have to have all the answers, I just have to be open to change - and let it happen.

Sunday: YogaCycle
Monday: Zumba Toning
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Speed & Drill (Ride class)
Thursday: Gentle Vinyasa
Friday: Off
Saturday: YogaCycle 

12 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about the change in seasons a lot too, but I think (for me) it's for the better. Autumn always feels like a time for introspection, so even if you feel uncomfortable right now, it may just be a shift that you are sensing. Nice that the yoga teacher mentioned something about it. I hope you find some peace and balance in yr workout and spending habits, I know how stressful that can be.
    Anyway, the tart looks incredible! I've got to try to make something like that. Always appreciate seeing the grits too - been wanting to make those for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's for the better, too - I think I've been floating around, not fully being present and I'd like to change that! It's definitely been a different start to the school year for me, I hope I'll find balance soon. :)

      The tart was so decadent, definitely not something I can handle frequently! I hope you get grits on your menu soon!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like all the fat & sugar in the tart sent you into a helluva shame spiral. I'm sure once that you can step back and look at this post objectively, you'll see how you are doing pretty great (except for eating that massive Ciabatta Bread. How many people does that thing serve?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I don't know that the tart has the fault, it is definitely all mine! The (hand sized) Ciabatta serves one hungry bread eater, especially when dunked in thick soup. There is leftover soup, but not bread. ;)

      Delete
  3. Your tofu scramble and grits look like an awesome breakfast! I am sure your spending has ebbs and flows like all of life does Finding a balance while not feeling deprived is difficult. Your yoga teacher sounds like a smart lady :)
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a long time since I had that combo for breakfast! You are absolutely right - this has been a "flow" of money, I was much more conscious in the spring. Time to reign it in so I can save for a trip (next summer) and still participate in the upcoming holidays! :)

      Delete
  4. I think that the change of seasons definitely plays mind games. Spending comes to the forefront of our minds because the holidays are approaching, you've settled into school and feel out of your routine, and your work schedule makes it more difficult to get motivated to get into the gym. Also, the cooler temperatures make us want to curl up under the covers and not get out the door! It's totally understandable and I think it's great that your instructor mentioned it and put a positive spin on it.

    Great looking meals!! The tofu scramble looks absolutely perfect and that WFs meal looks like money well spent. It looks like a perfectly comforting fall meal. Gotta love some great bread with a warm, hearty soup. Was the tart as good as it looks?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! What's funny is that my schedule is the only thing that feels successful - school, workouts, and the to-do list are the only things getting accomplished (which is usually difficult for me). My current weaknesses are my areas of prior strength: spending money, prepping for the week. But I know it'll fall into place. Even more amazing is today, in the car on the way home, I heard a report on NPR about the laws of entropy (chaos always wins). The expert said when we focus on remedying one area of our life, other areas become more disorganized/chaotic/et al. It all makes sense!

      I love great bread and soup - I could live on that combo! And a great salad on the side! The tart was very decadent, something worthy of celebratory dessert!

      Delete
  5. I agree with Sarah about the change of seasons playing mind games. I get the same way and also feel off lately. It's pretty cool that the instructor talked about the positive side of change. What great timing!

    I have some grits sitting in the cupboard and have been enjoying them for breakfast from time to time. I'm really loving them, but now I totally want them paired with scramble. :) The tart sounds & looks pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great timing, speaking to our changing ways, continues! It's all connected! Hopefully we will all settle into the season (and the changes!) soon.

      Grits are so good with a scramble - a little of both on the fork is the right measurement. I'm so glad I tried the tart, normally I would have passed. I would love another brownie again in the future!

      Delete
  6. Another thumbs up here too - I think you're underestimating yourself, it looks like you're doing pretty well to me. And even if it might not feel like it right now, the first step to fixing things is working out what needs fixing, so you're already on the right road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thank you Joey! It's strange for me when my strengths and weaknesses change position, and it's a lesson about balance yet again. ;)

      Delete