Sunday, July 14, 2013

Haul, Vegan Van & The Week Ahead

The Farmer's Market this morning didn't have much that caught my eye, but I did pick up a few things:
Corn, garlic, jalapenos (impulse buy - no idea what I'll do with them), broccoli, and kale.

A trip to Sprouts yielded the rest of my groceries for the week (I have a few other items in the fridge I'll finish off, too).
Garlic hummus (2/$6), Baby Italian Boule, flour tortillas, flatbread.
Cantelope, watermelon, frozen peas, white onion, Go Raw bar, tomatoes.

As I have discussed with Shen on occasion, I haven't been to visit the Vegan Van in a while.  Today, I ended that streak.  I was there at the end of her brunch, just before 2pm and here's what was on the menu:
I selected the Wing my Bell with a side of tots.

It was good, but I don't eat seitan very often so I had half of the "wings" and will re-visit them later.

As you might have noticed, I've started talking about my workouts a little more - mostly for myself, because I need the accountability - but also, I know some of you might like to hear about classes or workouts I've tried.  Seeing as I labeled this blog "improvement", I should share more of my life outside of the kitchen - like fitness!  That said, I'll try to limit my workout blab to a few short statements each post.

Two blogs (Jess, Monica) I read make a commitment most Sundays to their readers as what will be in their workouts.  Now that I've worked back up to five days, here's my schedule:

***I have four all-day trainings for Advanced Placement classes, so no Zumba this week.
Sunday: Rest
Tuesday: YogaCycle
Wednesday: Tone It Up Workout
Thursday: Rest
Friday: YogaCycle
Saturday: Hike in the mountains

Ok, this was a long post - I'll end it here! I hope you had a great weekend! 

15 comments:

  1. Yay, great post!! Love your hauls, looks like you've got a lot of great stuff to work with! Can't wait to see what you do with the jalapenos! :)

    Hooray for the Vegan Van!! The tots look yummy and I know what you mean about only being able to eat a little bit of seitan at a time. Do you find it really salty? I always feel like it's salty when I eat it.

    I've been loving reading about your workouts! I'm going to have to start doing more tone it up workouts because I just found out that my trainer no longer works at my gym :( I'm very sad about it and don't want to train with anyone else so it looks like I'm going to have to take a lot more initiative to get it done myself. Sadness! But I'm stoked that you've been doing so well! That hike is going to be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I was sad when my trainer left my gym, too. It does make it harder for me, which is why I've started scheduling classes - it's like an appointment that I have to keep. You, however, have much more self discipline than I do! I know you'll be in there killing it!

      Maybe that's part of it, but I also am not a huge fan of the texture of seitan. Tofu will forever and always be my top choice!

      Delete
  2. oooh a Vegan Van! how exciting! and what a great haul! i love hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your workout schedule - it offers a lot of variety. I like to switch up my days at the gym, so it's not boring. As for the veggies in the first photo, what I would do (not that you have to, of course) is make a kind of succotash with all of them. Corn, and garlic sauteed with those jalapenos would be marvelous! But, then all your produce would be gone in one shot. That's what happens to me all the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am going to take your advice and make a succotash!! I might have time tomorrow night to make it happen - I will report back with the result. :)

      Delete
  4. I love that you're holding yourself accountable for your workouts like this. What a great idea! The yoga and hiking in the mountains would definitely be my favorite days. :)

    Glad you got to visit the Vegan Van again! I would have had a hard time picking something out because everything on the menu sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is hard, but I am determined to be better at it - now that I've gotten over the initial self-consciousness! I hope to be doing the spin / yoga class twice a week in the long run (more if possible!).

      I know, I thought about having a breakfast scramble, but thought I'd try something I've never had from her! Next time, however, that's what it'll be. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sure Shen will apreciate those tots. They look great. Not a huge seitan fan myself but it's a nice treat. Hope you liked em. Love that you include a hike in yr exercise plans! Hopefully we'll be seeing some nature photos from the hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm just not a huge seitan lover - only in smaller quantities will I ingest. ;) You will definitely see the hike on Saturday!

      Delete
  6. THANK YOU FOR GETTING THE TOTS!!! Although, I would've ordered any else but the Buffalo Wings. I know what you mean about posting things on the blog in order to make you see it through to completion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! The tots were definitely my favorite part. Yes, it's all about public statements! :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful farmers' market haul. I just love seeing the gorgeous produce that is available locally these days. (Even though my locale and your locale are not the same.)

    I guess I'm in the minority here because I just love seitan. Those "wings" look great.

    I like reading about your workouts and learning about the new things you are trying so.. go you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! We don't have the gorgeous collards that you do, but I wish we did.

      I've tried to love seitan, but we're definitely "friends" and I'll enjoy it again in a few months. ;)

      Thanks Rachel!

      Delete
  8. hike in the mountains would be enough to get a lazy sod like me off the sofa!

    how cool to have a vegan van nearby - I'd have to go for the dogg. I have a love hate thing with seitan - love it when other people make it, but my home-made attempts seem to fall flat!

    How about stuffing the jalapenos with something?

    ReplyDelete