Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Gruene Day Trip

Gruene, TX is listed as a worthwhile stop outside of Austin.  We spent the latter half of the day there, exploring the historic section.  As mentioned yesterday, Gruene is pronounced "green" and was founded by German farmers in the 1840s.  It's mainstay is the oldest running dance hall (and former saloon) in the state, called Gruene Hall.


We ate dinner at The Gristmill (the entrance is shown below - it was in an actual old mill - no air conditioning, just ceiling fans and open windows!) No photos of my dinner, but it was a plain baked potato and garden salad without cheese.

From inside the mill, we saw a little bit of the Guadalupe River, and we hiked down afterwards to get a better view.


I'll leave you with a few more images from around the historic part of town.


(inside the store - next two images)



Tomorrow: San Antonio

9 comments:

  1. The hike looks like a beautiful walk. I really haven't been down south much at all so I know nothing about the greenery.
    The architecture downtown is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite green compared to where I live! They appear to get more moisture, although I was told they are in a drought as well. I love the architecture of old towns!

      Delete
  2. That first picture of the river looks like a painting! I love the trees in it. So pretty.

    I also love how the building are in Gruene. They all look so old fashioned. Those signs in the shop are funny and those cards! ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The river was very beautiful, and the water looked relatively clean. I took a few other pictures inside the general store, but didn't like how they turned out. I need to get a real camera soon! Ha!

      Delete
  3. What a cute town! The pictures of the river are stunning, what a gorgeous view! It must make up for a lack of vegan options inside the restaurant :) The B&B building is really pretty too. I'm obsessed with wraparound porches... really beautiful spot! The General Store is so cute! The signs are too funny and those cards are amazing :) Looks like a fun stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gruene was very picturesque! I think there was one other place that had more vegan options, but I think it was closed and there is nothing like sitting above a river - dinner with a view! I love wraparound porches, too - it seems very southern. I'm definitely glad we drove down!

      Delete
  4. It is a cute town. Are you allowed to say what kind of trip this was? It seems quite rigid in terms of what and where you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! My brother and I were invited down (he started his new job this past Monday), and we were joined by another family member who lives in Texas. We did do some shopping, which I didn't document, but other than not making it to more veg-friendly eats - I'd do it again!

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay, it seemed extremely structured to my type of traveling taste (back in the day when I travelled).

      Delete