Monday, June 17, 2013

Austin Recap (Part One)

Hello! I am still sifting through photos, and working out how to piece them together coherently, but I figured I'd get started now.  I feel like I took a lot of pictures, but I didn't document everything we did so there might be a few links to places here and there.  Also, these posts will be location-heavy and food-light. Plan on checking in most days this week, as I will be pumping out all five posts (I know, five!) within a reasonable time frame.

Coming into this trip, I wanted to know more about the history of Texas.  We visited the Bullock (no, not Sandra) Texas State History History Museum, which didn't allow photographs.  I would definitely recommend it. Additionally we toured the Capitol building.  Since everything is bigger in Texas, the building followed suit - it's the biggest Capitol in the nation.



(All door hinges - like that above, and doorknobs were ornate.)

There were several trips to Whole Foods (including the original shown below - it's in a bigger location now, but it's still considered the first store), as I was vacationing with carnivores.  I would let them go to their BBQ joints, as long as I could pick up a meal from WF.  Of interest: they had a policeman directing traffic for parking, and everyone inside was either a hipster or wearing yoga pants.  Nice to know it's the same everywhere. Ha!



Summer Kale Salad from Whole Foods:

Breakfast while at the hotel or when we visited my aunt and uncle in central Texas (that will come in a later post), consisted usually of fruit and toast with jam or pb or both.  And coffee.

Tomorrow: Austin Recap (Part Two). 

12 comments:

  1. Yay welcome back!!!! I hope you had an amazing time! I have heard that Texas is a really cool place to visit so I've been looking forward to your recap! And you are doing 5 posts?! AMAZING! I can't wait to see the rest!

    The Capital Building is gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for beautiful architecture. The ornate door hinges are so beautiful too!

    Ahhhh how nice is that Whole Foods?! OMG I laughed so hard at the hipster/yoga pants comment. That was hilarious. It looks like a gorgeous location and that salad looks really yummy too!

    Can't wait for the next installment :) It's nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed myself, and would absolutely go back explore Austin a little more. A beautiful place all the way around! Two posts for Austin, one for San Antonio, one for Gruene, and one for the small town where my aunt and uncle live (I went there for Christmas the year you sent me the treats in the mail, remember?!)

      I am kicking myself for not having snapped more pictures inside of Whole Foods, but I became super distracted. Ha! I ate that salad at least three times.

      Thank you! I'm excited to share it all with you :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, I like this! I've never been to Texas, despite my brother going to school in Houston and I have at least one friend who lives in Austin. Do you have friends down there at all, or just family?
    The Capitol is huge! I haven't even seen the one in NY but the one in North Carolina is itty bitty compared to that. Love the WF shots. Are those spice drawers underneath for bulk spices??
    Echoing Sarah's sentiments, I'm glad yr back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Family in central Texas, and we did see them, but I've been interested in visiting Austin - and I'm ready to go back any time! So much more to discover and enjoy!

      It even has an underground addition with "sky lights" where you can see the grass growing on the ground above. Crazy big.

      Yes! The spice section was so vast. The people who shop there full time are pretty fortunate.

      Thanks, Maud! :)

      Delete
  3. Double echo. Glad you're back.

    I've been to San Antonio and Corpus Christi and liked the entire state based on that information. Too bad it's so hot down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shen! :)

      I was really hoping to make it to Corpus Christi this trip, but I'll have to nail it down for next time and skip San Antonio instead. It's actually hotter temperature-wise in Denver (right now, anyway) but it's that 95% humidity that kills ya. But you wouldn't know anything about humidity, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. I, too, am glad to see you back!

    Funny about Whole Foods. Sound just like the Milwaukee location! lol

    The capitol building is extremely large, which isn't surprising since, like you said, it's in Texas.

    I hope you had a lot of fun and will be looking forward to all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly!

      It's safe to say that I do not fit in (aesthetically nor financially) at Whole Foods, but they do have fun items to peruse!

      Yes, it's all bigger in Texas. The history museum had FOUR FLOORS. We were there for nearly three hours. Ha!

      The posts will not be nearly as great as your last vacation posts, but hopefully slightly interesting! :)

      Delete
  5. Austin! I love the Whole Foods there, and ate breakfast tacos almost every day while during my visit last year. Looking forward to the rest of your Texas posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ready to go back! I didn't see any breakfast tacos, but I was probably overwhelmed. Ha ha!

      Delete
  6. I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what are yoga pants?! Happily, I don't think they've made it to the UK Whole Foods (though the hipsters definitely have!)

    ReplyDelete