Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Workout & A Meal

Yesterday and today I met up with a small group who wanted to workout outside.  This morning, the destination was Red Rocks.
People come here to run the surrounding trails, do stair workouts, and generally people-watch.  This morning, a group of Denver Nuggets (our basketball team) were here with their trainer.  Those boys are in seriously good shape.

The view from the bottom: also, note the stairs are in the shadow of this picture, and the seats are the wooden planks in the sunshine.
What I did (all activities started from the bottom and went to the top): walked up stairs twice, box jump every other stair (jump up to step, walk up one step, repeat), one-legged step ups on the seats (all your weight on one leg as you step up - switch legs, repeat).

The view from the top halfway through my workout:
(Crews were setting up for the Widespread Panic show tonight)

I don't usually venture to Red Rocks for working out as it's a 35-40 minute drive, even though essentially it is a free gym.  Since it's summertime, and I was there with people I could chat with while I killed my legs, I'll be back!

A friend of mine is closing on her first house tomorrow, so I took her (and myself) out to lunch at City O'City.  I dream about their breakfast burrito, so I had it even though it was 1:00pm.
Tofu scramble, potatoes, pinto beans, kale (I asked them to add it in), cashew ricotta (on top!) and smothered in green chile.  Yes.
The leftovers, which I'll be eating for dinner, as they appear in sunlight.

P.S. My legs are already sore, tomorrow I won't be able to walk. ;)

15 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's such a beautiful spot for a workout! And damn girl, that's a sick workout you put in there! How cool that you worked out at the same place as the Nuggets. Great location, I'm sure it was worth the drive. Box jumps freak me out, I always feel like I'm going to fall and break multiple bones haha. Oh man I've had those days when I'm sore within hours. It hurst so bad but feels so good ;)

    Congrats to your friend on the big purchase! Looks like you had a yummy celebration meal! The burrito looks delicious and adding the kale was a great idea!

    Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful and really, really hot. I was there by 8am, but might need to schedule my next visit either a) earlier or b) on a cloudy day! A friend did the box jump (as well as other people and Nuggets players) on the seats. I said I wasn't quite ready for that height! One day I want to be able to do it. My abs are sore today (it has to be the box jumps - what else could it be?!). It's definitely a "good sore" in my legs!

      Kale just made me justify having the burrito - "at least I'm getting my greens in, too"! Ha ha! :)

      Thank you, I hope you're having a great day too!

      Delete
  2. Definitely a great day!! I would LOVE to see Red Rocks and it's funny, because Mike & I were just talking about it yesterday! Sounds like a fantastic workout you had.

    That burrito sounds & looks absolutely perfect. I can see why you ordered it despite the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of coming down to hike or go to a show? Both are good, obviously there is less traffic (and it's free!) if you come to hike. The evening shows are pretty on a clear night, lots of stars and no city lights for miles. Another option is Film on the Rocks, where they show old movies during the summer in the evenings.

      Perhaps breakfast burritos should be eaten at all times of the day?! :)

      Delete
    2. We would definitely come to hike, although we couldn't bring Emma because of the pit bull ban. A lot of people mistake her for a pit bull and we wouldn't want to risk anything happening. :(

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous place to work out. maybe that's what it'd take to get me to exercise. I BET it was fun to watch the Nuggets practice :)
    Fantastic looking meal too. Love that you had to cram the kale in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working out with a view or with good company is critical! I dislike cardio in a gym unless I'm in a class. Actually, a gym is always better if has a view or someone telling me what to do. Ha ha!

      The kale was a great addition to the burrito! :)

      Delete
  4. This is what I imagined living in Colorado was all about (including the Burrito).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado certainly is an outdoor state - there are always people walking or jogging or biking (with or without dogs, on all three options). The burrito is amazing, I'll ask that you visit City O' City in addition to WaterCourse when you visit. :)

      Delete
  5. So that's where those "concerts at Red Rocks" are! I thought they were in Oklahoma because I had camped at a park there, but now I see that it was Red *Rock* Canyon State Park and the (famous) one in Colorado is Red *Rocks."

    That sounds like such a great workout - very impressive. And that burrito is impressive too. I love cashew cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is where the magic happens. ;)

      I'm looking forward to another workout there in the future! The combo of ingredients in the burrito (including the cashew cheese) really make it amazing!

      Delete
  6. Exercise generally terrifies me, but I can't deny with a backdrop like that, I could even be persuaded to get some running shoes on!

    I can see why you went for the breakfast burrito - those are almost all of my favourite foods in one dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, the setting does inspire! :)

      Such a good breakfast burrito all the way around!

      Delete
  7. What a pretty location to exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Amanda! :)

      Delete