Sunday, June 30, 2013

A Kansas Weekend

Last year, wheat harvest was right on schedule.  This year, with a late spring - everything is behind and the yield will be light.  Some of the grain is still green (unripe)!


Fun fact: crops are rotated annually, so here is the exact same field I showed you last year - but it was being plowed for wheat and this year it has corn (harvested in September).

Another reason we went out there was really for my heart.  My grandfather (recently turned 90, drives a tractor and gets his hands in the dirt whenever he can) was just diagnosed with macular degeneration, which means he might not be able to see for much longer.  I felt compelled to get out there and spend time with him sooner rather than later. 


He's allowed to drive country roads, so we went out to the fields to check the status of the wheat, and here he is - doing what he loves - pulling wheat berries to see if they're ready and looking out over his land.


See you soon.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Kansas is beautiful. Lovely pictures, especially the last one. I am sorry about your grandfather's condition, but it's nice you were able to spend time with him in his element.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has its days of beauty, along with a lot of flat land! :) I'm sad about it, but it was so nice to spend time with him.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Ingrid, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. It's wonderful that you went to spend time with him.

    The field across the street from us usually has corn, wheat or soybeans, but with all the rain (flooding) we got this year they didn't plant anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Molly, I'm glad I went out there too!

      If only we could have shared our season - more rain in KS and CO, more dry sunshine in WI. He does "rest" fields too. I bet those across from your house will be very fertile next year!

      Delete
  3. What a sweet post Ingrid. I'm sorry about your grandfather but my heart is so warm at the thought of you going to spend time with him and help him. You are a wonderful granddaughter and you are lucky to have each other.

    The photos are really beautiful. I love the one with your grandpa. I love the little bit of blue peeking out behind the fluffy clouds as well. Really really beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it, Sarah, thank you! I've come to realize how important grandparents are, and I am blessed to be able to see them!

      The photo turned out so well, but I had a beautiful setting - the clouds knew what to do, and Grandpa is an easy model. ;)

      Delete
  4. This is a sweet post. The last shot is fantastic. It sounds like he really loves doing what he does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maud - he repeated that pose several times as we checked the fields. I hope he can do it for a few more years. :)

      Delete
  5. That is a really great photo of your Grandfather. Strides are being made in treating Macular Degeneration. My Mother has gone to John's Hopkins for treatment (involving a shot in her eye), but just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is a keeper, thank you! He's doing a shot as well, scheduled for every month or so but I was told it's only to slow the degeneration, not reverse it (I think he waited too long before saying something about his vision). If you have a moment, I'd love to know more about your mother's treatment!

      Delete
    2. Not much more I can tell you. It's like you said, a monthly shot with an experimental drug I believe called 'Avastin'. I don't know how good the doctors are in Kansas, but my mother sought out the best eye doctors she could find at Hopkins/Wilmer Eye Clinic.

      Delete