Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blue Sky and Produce

Friday afternoon I left work early and made my way to Kansas for my grandfather's 90th birthday - it was a quick turnaround (36 hours) before we were back in the car and on our way home.  I didn't take many pictures, but I wanted to share two:  the first, from our drive out. . .
(The Into the Great Wide Open chorus comes to mind -- you should watch the linked video because Tom Petty is awesome, and I forgot about Johnny Depp and Faye Dunaway being in it.)

Another scenic shot, this time at sunset while we were out at the farm.  The eight grandchildren present (I am the oldest, in case you were curious - even though all of us are close in age), were seated outside catching up and emptying the beer cooler.  Family gatherings are stressful, but this was a great moment.

Upon return, I picked up some produce for the week:
Carrots, cremini mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, red bell pepper
Gala apples, cauliflower, collard greens

Now I'm off to listen to the rest of Tom Petty's Greatest Hits.  And maybe do some work.  Or not.  ;)

10 comments:

  1. Aww how nice that you all got together for such a special occasion! It's nice to hear about you all sitting around and catching up. Sounds like a lovely time and definitely some beautiful scenery that you got to enjoy!

    Beautiful produce! Can't wait to see what you do with all of it :)

    Haha I vote no work!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do any work. ;) I will have to work some tonight, so I guess I will pay for it at some point! Ha ha!

      I'm excited about the collards and asparagus - it's my first bunch of the season.

      It's always nice to celebrate, and he was so grateful and teary eyed about the whole event. I need to stress less about family crap and enjoy the good times! Which I am, especially now that I've had time to process the trip. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pics and love the produce! Happy 90th to your Grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I think he really enjoyed everyone coming to celebrate this milestone. :)

      Delete
  3. I had to watch the video. :) It really took me back! A great song and very fitting for your drive.

    That's really great that you had a nice moment outside with your cousins. Family gatherings are stressful for me, too, so I take all of those moments I can get.

    Your week is off to a great start with all of that produce.

    Oh, and wow, 90 years old! Go Grandpa! That's wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did! :) It doesn't seem like the song should be from 20 years ago, but once I saw Johnny Depp - I realized he looked so young!

      Absolutely; it is best for me to hang on to those positive experiences and not get mired in the frustrations.

      It will be a great produce-filled week! And yes, 90 years is quite the accomplishment. I'd like him to stick around as long as possible.

      Delete
  4. Now I DO have Tom Petty in my head, and I'm okay with that.... Or Bruce's "Badlands" changed to "Flatlands."
    Glad you were able to make it out and enjoy yrself. 90 is a big deal.
    With all yr healthy groceries, you'll make it there yrself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! There are a few artists / songs that one doesn't mind having stuck and Tom Petty is definitely one of them. Ooh, Springsteen could totally work too.

      It was a quick trip, hopefully I'll get out there in summer (I am completely aware that any day over 90 is on borrowed time - must get in the visits while I can!)

      Delete
  5. Is this the Grandpa that had all the WWII pictures that you organized?

    Thanks again for the geography lesson. Hard to believe Kansas is next to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Those pictures were his, given to him by his father (the photos were of WWI, but grandpa did serve in WWII).

      HA! Why hard to believe? Kansas is "somewhere over the rainbow", no? ;)

      Delete