Tuesday, April 9, 2013

April (Snow) Showers

SNOW DAY! WOO HOO! In all honesty, the accumulation hasn't been near the totals projected but the 50 degree drop (72 yesterday, 24 today) along with heavy winds have made this a worthwhile stay-in-your-slippers-and-inside kind of day. I tip my hat to the weathermen who convinced the majority of the city to shut down.  Remy and I have enjoyed the day together: napping, snuggling, and overall laziness (with a few rounds of living room fetch thrown in for exercise).
(Cue LL) "Don't call it a comeback":
I bought everything to make these over a week ago. Why did I wait so long?
Brown rice tortilla and refried beans toasted under the broiled, topped with green chile (medium strength), avocado slices and shredded lettuce.  Messy goodness.
Cheezy kale chips (one tray worth - about two and a half stems of kale)
Appetite for Reduction's Pasta Con Broccoli.
That's some serious natural light being reflected off of the snow! It looks like I ate dinner midday.

Anyone to the east of Colorado - enjoy the storm, should be outta here by tomorrow night.  We're sending you another one next week, too.  I'll have a chat with everyone and see if we can make it rain, as opposed to snow. ;)

10 comments:

  1. Yikes!! Boo for snow, that's gross! At least you got a snow day and some cuddle time with Remy out of it! And some really yummy looking meals! That Blueberry Kashi was my favorite kind of Kashi cereal when I ate it. So good! Lunch looks so delicious too, definitely warming and comforting on a cold day. Can't go wrong snacking on some kale chips and believe it or not I've been craving pasta lately! That NEVER happens! Yours looks really delicious, I love broccoli in my pasta on the rare occasion that I eat pasta ;)

    Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nearly all melted today, gotta love those spring storms! Do you eat cold cereal very often? I think I've seen only the raw bulk bins variety on your site. I probably shouldn't eat them, but they are so good.

      It was more about the broccoli this time, less emphasis on pasta - but a great dish nonetheless. Even a non-pasta eater like yourself would probably like it!

      Delete
  2. Well, that stinks that you got snow & cold temps but terrific that you got a day off with Remy! Colorado weather seems to be all over the place like Wisconsin weather is. Such a roller coaster! We might be getting some of that snow at the end of the week, but so far there's just lots of rain & wind (and flooding...).

    Kudos to you for drinking your coffee black. That's how Mike drinks his but I've never been able to tolerate the bitterness.

    Great looking meals! What's in the pasta dish besides broccoli? It looks nice & light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An absolute rollercoaster! Flooding?! Oh no! I hope the moisture skips you, as it wouldn't be good to add more water!

      I blame it on my Swedish ancestry (they drink more coffee, and always black)!

      There are shallots, veggie broth, red pepper flakes, and black pepper (a slight deviation from the original recipe - garlic instead of shallot, and called for white wine as well as broth).

      Delete
  3. Gimme that snow!!! I've been soaked in sweat all day! (I found the cereal today at Wegmans).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping up with the weather theme: it's currently rainy in Connecticut, and we got some thunder earlier which agitated the Blue-dog. (Damn climate change...)

    Anyway, all your meals look really yummy. I have not had cold cereal in a dog's age, but that bowl of flakes is looking seriously good and crunchy. I like your lunch idea, and I probably should try it. Pasta and broccoli is definitely a Miss Rachel kind of meal; yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love some rain! I'm definitely over the snow. Remy doesn't care for thunder either!

      I've been eating it all week, and it's quite decadent. This pasta and broccoli dish would absolutely be Rachel-worthy!

      Delete
  5. Kale chips! Tostadas! You're cooking up some of my favourites here. Anything with refried beans makes me hungry just looking at it! You're having a lot of luck with the snow days! Day at home with the dog? Don't mind if I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All great eats, that's for sure! I'd love another day off while we're at it. ;)

      Delete