Thursday, March 21, 2013

Updated Hot Bar #3

Also known as the "Whole Foods" Hot Bar epic fail.  I don't know what was up with this location tonight, but they were quite skimpy on the vegan hot eats.
Asian Cabbage Salad
Kale Superfood Salad
Now, this is impressive and new to me:
Hummus Bar (top row: beet hummus, roasted garlic hummus, roasted bell pepper. Bottom row: traditional, green garbanzo bean, and edamame hummus).  Next to this was a mini salad and pita bar.
Sam's Vegan Chili with Cornbread. To the back left (on the other side) was a red curry tofu, but they listed shellfish as an ingredient. Why?!

Since the Hot Bar offerings were limited, I decided to snap a few other pictures.  First, the aforementioned vegan donuts. 
Vegan Chocolate Glazed Donut, Vegan Vanilla Glazed Donut, and the label you can't see but the donuts on the far right are Vegan French Toast flavor. Fancy! I'll try one eventually and share my thoughts.

Second, the Hail Merry line appears to still be on sale. To the right are the Simply Dara Raw Balls I tried as a sample.  Holy cow, they need to go on sale.  So good.
Not photographed, due to the 6:30pm dinner rush crowd, was the Vegetable Barley Soup and Vegan Pizza.

One more work day till Spring Break. Hallelujah!

12 comments:

  1. A hummus bar?! Oh my. I would be all over that, especially with a pita bar next to it. And vegan donuts? The Milwaukee Whole Foods is certainly sad compared to what I've seen others post.

    Mike would definitely want to try the chili & cornbread. He's such a chili lover.

    So, you're on spring break now? Lucky!! I hope you have a great week off and that the winter weather you're expecting passes you by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely should try the hummus bar next time it's out! The bakery case doesn't have much in the way of vegan-friendly foods, with the exception of cookies and donuts.

      I've not had the chili and cornbread, but it looked popular!

      I am! And overnight it snowed six inches - and it is still going. Another 2-4 expected throughout the day. -_-

      Delete
  2. I am amazed at this stuff! A hummus bar is a fantastic idea. NY is way behind the times on that one AND the donuts! What the hell!
    Also, we are so used to things being overpriced that Hail merry goodies will never go on sale :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they not have many sales? That's not fair! I recall your Whole Foods having some pretty great options. If they combined all of the goods for all stores - we'd never leave!

      Delete
  3. Echoing the denizens of Milwaukee and NY, those of us in Virginia have none of these things. We have three flavors of pre-packaged Hummus (Regular, Garlic & Red Pepper) and no vegan Donuts, no vegan Chili with Cornbread, no raw Balls. I didn't notice the Hail Merry products last Monday as being on sale. Feeling disgruntled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hummus Bar is relatively new, and I suppose makes up for the lackluster hot bar offerings. I wonder if the sale is a regional thing? I know sometimes we have the same sales (such as Field Roast sales).

      Delete
  4. A HUMMUS BAR?!?!??! Can you feel the jealousy through the computer? How awesome!! And the donuts too!!! I would definitely power down that chocolate donut. Mmmm. I need to check out these Hail Merry products. They sound so good but I think I must overlook them because I don't recall seeing them. Maybe they'll still be on sale when I head over on Sunday? ;)

    By now you are finished with school! Yay!! I hope you enjoy every second of your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely curious about the different varieties of hummus, so I'll check it out. What I think about the Hail Merry products: good, but not mind-blowing. I still have a lot of the macaroons left, and if I haven't had one a day (like your delicious cookies) they must not be ridiculously good. ;)

      Yes, Spring Break is here! However, it's snowing so it feels more like Winter Break.

      Delete
  5. Okay, I'm sure that looks skimpy to you, but you would be devastated if you came into my location. They are finally "beefing" it up, hah, but they have a long ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they bring a lot delicious goodies your way soon!

      Delete
  6. That looks like a decent spread! When I saw that pic of the hummus bar, I completely thought it was a sorbet bar and got really excited (but a hummus bar is not to be sniffed at either!) And those donuts - you've got some good-looking baked goods right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a sorbet bar would be good! Ha ha! I will have to go back and try the hummus bar sometime soon. Maybe the donuts, too! ;)

      Delete