Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spring Break Highlights #3

As mentioned in Thursday's post (a.k.a the LoDo tour / Reuben sandwich edition), this is my last installment of Spring Break highlights.  I know we still have Sunday, but between Easter and having to actually write lessons - it's more like a return to work.  It's been a welcome vacation from everyday life, and I'm glad I was able to re-charge.

I only have two food photos for you: first, a trip to Sweet Action for Vegan Cinnamon Ice Cream.
Second: a Vietnamese Tofu Salad from Whole Foods. Dressed in peanut sauce.
Friday, my mother took the day off and we went into the foothills for a gorgeous hike. Remy and my parent's dog also came along.  We started in Morrison, and drove (the scenic route) towards Evergreen.
Evergreen Lake, below.
Near the lake:
From there, we backtracked a couple of miles and headed towards our hiking destination: Mount Falcon. (Colorado FYI: Foothills are baby mountains meant for hiking.  Mountains are skied or climbed.)
Two miles down and back.
The clouds were in full cooperation for photos.
There are several trails, and I hope to try different ones in the future.
We made it to the ruins:
(Click the image above to read the story)

The view below from what would have been their living room (looks east towards Red Rocks Amphitheater - hard to see, but it's in the middle of the picture. The red rocks poking out of the earth.) 
The mile back was mostly uphill (there are three hills to walk over, but this first one. . .holy cow).
Nature's stairmaster.  I'll take it over the gym any day. 

Thank you for taking a moment to read this lengthy post (and the other lengthy ones from this past week!), I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful hike!! How nice that you got to spend some time with your mom and the pups! the hike looks absolutely gorgeous, I love the pic by the lake and the one looking down toward the amphitheater! So gorgeous! They are all really pretty actually :) I love that you called it nature's stairmaster ;) So true, definitely way better than a gym!

    That ice cream is totally screaming my name. I am such a cinnamon freak, I've always wanted to try cinnamon ice cream. It looks so pretty with all of the specks in there. The salad looks like perfection, peanut dressing is the perfect topping for it. Great looking eats.

    Hope you have a productive day tomorrow and a nice Easter! Hope you can relax for your last day of your break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about you, but in my mind clouds make a picture look better! I loved how low they were. Evergreen Lake and the area surrounding are really pretty in the summer. I'll have to get back there and take more photos!

      The cinnamon ice cream was pretty good! I tasted the vegan hazelnut, too but it didn't have a very strong flavor. Peanut dressing makes everything taste better! Ha ha!

      It was productive for a day at work without students. Tomorrow they return! Aaaah!

      Delete
  2. The ice cream & salad look great!

    The hike looks SO wonderful! It's really awesome that your mom went with you, too. I would love to hike every day if I could, especially in the foothills. I have very fond memories of them. :)

    I hope you get to enjoy the next few days a bit and not have to work too hard on those lesson plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd appreciate the hike! Remy was slept the rest of the day, he was so tuckered out! My mom did a great job on the hike; it was a great day all the way around. Very few things could tear me away from city life, but this does make one pause and reconsider when hiking!

      Today was rough, but I seemed to fair it better than other colleagues who were full of complaints and yawns. ;)

      Delete
    2. P.S. When determining where to hike, I considered Nederland or Estes Park - but I figured I would go somewhere I knew you (and many others who come to Colorado) had not seen!

      Delete
  3. I feel like my lungs are full of clean fresh air just from looking at this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to emit clean air through photos any time. ;)

      Delete
  4. I can't decide what I like the look of more - that salad or the beautiful walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The salad and the hike were both fantastic! I need to learn how to make the salad at home, and save the money. Ha!

      Delete