Sunday, February 10, 2013

Updated Hot Bar #2

Today I visited Whole Foods location #2 to scope out the offerings available at the Hot Bar.  Last time you went with me, it was May and their food was Cinco de Mayo themed.  Today's theme was all about Mardi Gras.
Front:  Cajun Red Beans, Back: Cajun Roasted Red Potatoes

Front:  "Chef Prepared Vegetarian" Mardi Gras Blackened Tofu.  I didn't see any dairy in the ingredient list, so it's probably vegan - nonetheless, I didn't try it.  Ha!  That's corn in the back but it was made with milk.

Left:  Vegan "Dirty Rice" and Right: Steamed, Seasoned Veggies.

Non-Mardi Gras themed items:
California Red Quinoa Salad, and:
Asian Couscous Salad.

A couple of bonus photos:
I've seen these several times, but have never tried them.  It's nice they offer Garden Nuggets for the kids, and not just animal stuff.  
It would seem that Bhakti Chai now sells their goods in quarts and growler-sized quantities.  Does this mean they will start filling shelves in other regions?

Shen and Sarah click here. If it doesn't do it automatically, click on your state!! I expect to see it pop up on your blogs with your review.  Tomorrow. ;)

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty nice spread they had! I like that they did a Mardi Gras theme, too. Strange that there was milk in the corn, though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the ingredient list - perhaps it was butter or cream. Although I didn't buy them from there, those were the same garlic bread looking potato wedges!

      Delete
  2. Oooh yay for Mardi Gras!!! I love New Orleans, I actually recently decided that I really want to try and go there for my 30th birthday later this year :) Everything looks great, they definitely did a great job making a large variety of vegan mardi gras fare :) I would probably go for the dirty rice and steamed veggies. Too bad they didnt have a vegan king cake!!

    I have to check out the chai site!! Yay!!! Look at the giant jug, heaven!!

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try it, and like it!

      Ooh, New Orleans for a birthday would be fantastic!

      There seems to be a southern theme happening at WF lately. My meals have consisted of collards and spicy potato wedges a few times!

      Delete
  3. Dang! I just drove by the Natural Market (sole Virginia Bhakti purveyor) in Warrenton today! I can't believe I missed out. I'll have to get back there ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah! Get back to Warrenton soon! I hope you don't hate it. I'm not sure how spicy you like your food, but this has a kick. You can always pour it over ice cubes to dilute it. It is so good.

      Delete
  4. I bought some chai mix today but not that brand - Tazo, rather, and there's honey in it. But I want to experiment with the spices and make my own.
    I like that the WF changes by season! When does mardi gras start? Tomorrow??
    Vegan dirty rice sounds soo so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The NY locations sound like they are closer to you than Sarah, so I hope you'll try it! It's heavy on ginger, so pretty spicy - but in a good way, not a "my esophagus is on fire" way.

      Mardi Gras must be right now, and Fat Tuesday must be tomorrow - as Wednesday is Lent. Apparently, this WF likes to celebrate holidays! ;)

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty nice looking hot bar, but I am annoyed that there was milk in the corn dish. It seems so unnecessary; I mean, they could always used soy milk or rice milk or something right? OK, I'm calming down now. Everything does look yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's corn - it's naturally creamy and buttery, doesn't need the additional junk!

      Delete