Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Another Year

I have been gifted with another year of life.  As it happened in the middle of the week this year, I have been sprinkling the surrounding days with indulgences (i.e. friends, massage, wine).  Last night a friend took me out to dinner at Potager (not super vegan friendly, but their special - vegetable samosas were easily made vegan).   It's a classy place, so they discreetly celebrated my birthday with this impressive sight:
I know it's just a lit wax candle, but I thought it was beautiful and simple.
Unlike last year, I worked today and didn't make my own dessert.  I went to Happy Cakes and picked up cupcakes for myself, my parents, and my brother.  
They only had one vegan option - chocolate with chocolate frosting.  I'm not a huge cake eater, and when I do indulge, I'd pick vanilla.  I'll check back another time and see if I can fulfill my true desire. ;)
Top left in tissue paper was mine, the others were non-vegan and for the rest of the family members.
It was good.

The gift I receive every year from my parents is flowers.  Here's this year's arrangement:

17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday!!!

    It sounds like you had a lovely day. That single candle is really cool. How did they get it to stay standing like that?

    Your cupcake looks delicious and your flowers are really beautiful.

    Here's to another year around the sun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! It was a good day. It looked to me like the server let some of the wax drip down, then she affixed the candle to the plate. I don't know why, but I really like it!

      The flowers are still looking beautiful, a few days later!

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Ingrid!! I love love love that they brought you a candle. I think that's actually really sweet and thoughtful. It's also very nice of your friend to take you out. Your cupcake looks great! SOmetimes it's best just to let someone else do the work ;) I hope you find your vanilla cupcake! Beautiful flowers too, they are so bright and cheery.

    I hope you had a happy happy birthday and that this year is an amazing one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I loved it, too. Such a simple and classy way to do it. I agree, it was so sweet of her, and I loved catching up!

      I agree, but if you have a cupcake business in the future, I'll just pay you to ship me a box of cupcakes made by you. ;)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! That candle looks amazing standing all by itself. If you're around me, I'll make sure you get your vanilla cupcakes on your special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's official - you are my long lost adoptive mother. I'll be right over for vanilla cupcakes. ;)

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! The candle is a lovely thought. The cupcakes are even lovelier, mind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joey! Candles and cake do go well together! ;)

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Ingrid. I hope you got your vanilla cupcake. You deserve that and a whole lot more.
    Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe, thanks, Maud! No vanilla cupcake as of yet, but it will happen.

      Delete
  6. A belated happy birthday to you! (I'm a February girl too. My birthday is next week.) That plate with the candle is surprisingly (surprising to me anyway) beautiful. It looks like something in a religious ceremony. And flowers are always a nice gift I think. The cupcakes look yummy, but too bad you couldn't get vanilla (argh!). Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Happy Birthday to you! I recall your vanilla cake posted a while back, and that would probably hit the spot. ;) I agree completely, the candle on the plate is so lovely!

      Delete
  7. Happy birthday Ingrid (a bit late...)!! Hope you had a great day full of good food, friends and family (seems like you had!). Love // Malin @ veganparade.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Malin! You are so sweet, it was a good day!

      Delete