Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Plan

After a combination of feeling uninspired food-wise this week, and my interest in improving my eating habits - I decided I would see where I stand when it comes to this info-graphic:

On Tuesday, I tracked my eats in terms of categories and this is what I totaled: less than one serving of leafy greens, one fruit, one high fat whole food,  7 (?!) whole grains, and one "does not fit into a category".  This is the food you see nearly everyday on this blog.  Apparently, I like my carbs.

So what did I eat?  Baked oatmeal with pb, an orange, collard greens (garlic, onion, tomato paste mixed in while sauteed), wild rice, spaghetti with garlic marinara and meatless meatballs.  

Would you believe I've actually had this info-graphic in my possession?  Taped on the refrigerator?  For seven months? WTF, Ingrid?!

Needless to say, when I go grocery shopping this weekend I will buy (and show you) impressive amounts of vegetables.  I don't eat beans every often, so we'll see about how much I add.  It'll be hard to cut back on nuts, nut butters, my beloved cashew cream and avocados.  

I should mention that Julieanna Hever has an updated food guide, but I find pie charts (especially this one) too confusing.  I like the pyramid above much better.
 
I'll still eat what it's in my freezer and cupboards on occasion, as I don't like to be wasteful.  Unless it tastes bad, then I'll gift it to the squirrels.

Your thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see a pyramid like this and to break down your daily eating habits and see how it compares. First, your 7 whole grains fits on the lower end of their suggestion so I feel like you are totally fine in that regard! I'm a carboholic and I'm curious to see how I'd stack up on this. I also think you tend to do a really good job with your plant intake. Like most people, it really depends on the day that you choose to analyze. When you drink your smoothies and eat kale chips your fruit and veggie numbers go up quite a bit.

    I think you are doing a great job but this guide will certainly be helpful in setting goals! I actually grabbed the graphic for myself and will be seeing how I stack up over the next few days ;) I think you'll do an amazing job!

    Oh and I'm sure hummus would count as a legume because of the chickpeas? Maybe? Oooh lentil soup would be good too!

    Can't wait to see how you progress with this plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how your days look! I know you're right, it does depend on the day and perhaps I need to look at a few more examples. I still know I need to eat more vegetables, so now that I've shown you what I should be doing - it'll be more convicting for me to do it! :)

      Ah,yes - thanks for the reminder about hummus! Lentils are good, and I have some in the pantry! Thank you for the ideas!

      Delete
  2. I've been keeping a food journal again for this very purpose. I can be pretty heavy on the grains, too, and not so heavy on veggies. Especially in the winter....

    I think you eat pretty healthy overall, though, but it's great that you're striving to make improvements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure how exactly I want it to look, but paying more attention to vegetables will be key! Maybe a food journal, or maybe more daily posts here - still figuring it out! Winter is definitely tough for raw veggies, and the fruit selection is basically bananas and citrus.

      Thank you, I hope to be better. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't know how much healthier you can eat? What have you got against Squirrels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Squirrels seem to visit my trash bags outside on a regular basis, so I figure they would appreciate any contribution. ;)

      Delete
  4. Haha, the bottom pie chart is very confusing. Pyramids are much more simple. I like molly's idea of a food journal... it's easy to have really good intentions and then just sort of grab things randomly that weren't part of the original plan.
    I agree with everyone else - maybe you had an off week but you usually seem to eat very healthfully. The kale chips definitely count as a vegetable!
    I don't know if you meal plan, or how extensively (you do seem to do a fair amount of weekly prep- though sometimes eating one thing over and over can get boring and make people want to stray from a meal plan) but that used to help me a lot in getting my vegetables in. Winter certainly plays a part in which foods we gravitate too. I hope you can find some tasty produce in season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This pie chart is so confusing! I wish she hadn't changed it. I probably have four servings of leafy greens on the days I make kale chips! Ha!

      I think I'm going to be more intentional in my meal planning, perhaps start with two vegetables and go from there. Winter does play a huge part! I can't even look at cantelope right now! ;)

      Delete
  5. So a person is meant to eat say, one and a half cups of beans or lentils a day? That seems like an awful lot to me. (and not a recipe for a happy relationship!) Ditto the leafy greens. I think I'm pretty far from scaling that pyramid. And I don't see any 'eat at least one slice of cake or two truffles a day either - think there must be some mistake there!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem a lot for a gaseous legume. I do love leafy greens, so I hope to make those a daily addition! Ha ha - yes, there needs to be a dessert column! :)

      Delete