Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Lack of Color

Let me tell you, these Tone It Up Girls move quickly! I am trying to keep up with their workout calendar - it's a lot of work!

Without intending to do so, I have some pretty unexciting meals (appearance-wise), but they all tasted great. First up: look who's back. . .
Grape Nuts and Almond Milk

Appetite for Reduction's Braised Cabbage with Seitan
She recommends serving it with rice or potatoes, but I had some quinoa I needed to use up.  It doesn't look too impressive, but it tastes so good - especially the cooking broth that resulted from the mixture.  I've kept it and will use it to cook some wild rice (which will be served with more cabbage and seitan). 

Speaking of broth, the only thing I wanted for dinner was Pho, and especially the amazing broth.  It has to be medicinal because my sinuses clear up and I feel so sleepy afterwards.
Again, lacking in color (Sriracha already mixed in) but oh-so-good.  

Off to bed early (thanks in part to the Pho), so I can put in another workout before work.  See you Thursday!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, I've been drinking (eating) a lot of miso soup lately too and really appreciating the steaminess and the broth's flavor. I have yet to try actual pho, though. Soon.
    The cabbage and seitan dish sounds fantastic. I'll have to check the recipe out. I don't eat enough cabbage. Did you make the seitan yrself too, or use store-bought?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes please! Miso is so good, I should make some broth and resume enjoying it again. When it's cold, I'm definitely a soup drinker/eater. :)

      I did not make the seitan - but eventually I will! This was WestSoy brand seitan. I've had it before, and didn't love it but in this recipe, it's phenomenal.

      Delete
  2. I want to eat a gallon of that pho. For serious. I've been craving soup daily and unfortunately haven't had a chance to eat any and that gorgeous bowl is definitely intensifying the craving. It looks amazing!

    The braised cabbage and seitan looks amazing!! I wish I could eat seitan, I'd eat that in a heartbeat! Gotta love the grape nuts :)

    Awesome job with the workouts! You are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pho broth is so amazing, I wish I could figure out how to make it correctly. I bet the braised cabbage would be great with anything!

      It's been such a rough road with these workouts, thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. Oh that pho looks so good. I think I will have to get after Sweetie to make it again or maybe I should see if the nearby pho restaurant (seriously, there is a nearby pho restaurant) makes a vegan version. Or I guess I could... make it myself?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do get after Sweetie! I recall he made quite the delicious bowl! It's funny that only some pho places have beef broth, and not veggie. I called a few places before finding this gem!

      Delete
  4. I find that I have a lot more monochrome days during winter, which I'm okay with. Some great comfort food you have, especially that pho. It sounds like it works like a charm!

    That's awesome that your'e keeping up with the workouts. I have a hard time following things like that, so it really impresses me when someone else can. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do blame the season, a little bit. ;) Pho is perfect on cold days!

      It has been a bit overwhelming, and I'm not yet as consistent as I should be - but one day at a time.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't have considered this a day without color. Looks pretty comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose there were a few items of color here and there, but you're right - it was good!

      Delete